home about speaking she cares resources contact

Monday, June 18, 2012

Three Little Words



When I get flustered or frustrated or just.plain.worried words spew out of my mouth. Mostly in singles or pairs. Not.good.words. Even if I catch my mouth and stop the ugly words, my tone sounds panicky. Whiny.
Since becoming friends with Sarah Young and this little book, I chant a new mantra when I feel my heart rate rising. A good mantra. A true mantra. A mantra giving no room to single words. Or sinful pairs. Or panic. Or whining. Or worry.
I trust You, Jesus.
I trust You, Jesus. I trust You, Jesus. I trust You, Jesus,” can be heard from the giant momburban as I burn rubber down Highway 105 as I leave my job, trading the stress, collecting little people. Bringing calm to my worries, seeking Jesus in my fears and seeing Him with such clarity, frustration disappears. That’s the goal of the mantra. Even in the very full, very loud, often short on gas momburban.
One afternoon at the inception of the mantra, I called my bff. When she asked, “What’re ya doin’?” I repeated the mantra three times really fast telling her I was chanting what I wished I was doing instead of panicking and cussing. She laughed. (She finds my panicked chaos entertaining and bit dramatic and well, most times I don’t cuss very loud. I’m a polite southern gal.)
This has been going on for months. Maybe a whole year. The mantra chant. Not my bff laughing at me--that’s been going on for over twenty years!
Recently while chatting with a close friend, I found myself talking in circles. Not quite able to articulate my feelings. Not able to pinpoint my movement for the day. Not quite panicky. Just spacey. She reminded me of Peter walking on the water.
The disciples were in a boat, far from land, in a huge and terrible storm. They were terrified, scared out of their skulls. Then they saw Jesus. Walking on the water toward them. 
As soon as Peter recognized Jesus, he said it. (Matthew 14:28-29)
Peter, suddenly bold, said, "Master, if it's really you, call me to come to you on the water."
He said, "Come ahead."
Jumping out of the boat, Peter walked on the water to Jesus. 
If you know the story, you know when Peter took his eyes off Jesus and focused on the stormy waters, he sunk. But before you can sink, you’ve got to get out of the boat.
These words penned by Young cause me to throw a leg over the edge forgetting the raging waves pounding ceaselessly against this vessel.
“I have called each of my children to a different [distinctly designed] path...What I require of you is to act justly, to love mercy and to walk humbly with Me--wherever I lead. Walk with me along paths designed uniquely for you. Concentrate on keeping in step with Me, instead of trying to anticipate My plans for you. If you trust Me...you can enjoy the present moment...Your main focus should be staying close to Me. I set the pace in keeping with...My purpose [for you].” (Jesus Calling p.175 & 177)
Eyes on Jesus, ignoring the rocking of my own boat, I recklessly, boldly, expectantly splash a bit in the rain as I rise and start my own walk. In this storm. Toward my Jesus.
Three little words.
I.trust.You.
The mantra breeds response.
Come.to.Me.
We plan the way we want to live, but only God makes us able to live it. Proverbs 16:9
What one thing is God asking you to do? Will you do it today?


2 comments:

Kaye @House on Oak Street said...

Thank you Lisa...I needed this today...

Donna McBroom-Theriot said...

What a wonderful post - and blog. I found via a comment you left on Heather's blog. Something (someone - Him - God) made me click on your name. I was recently diagnosed with two rare blood disorders and I'm trying to wrap my head around it and act like nothing's been thrown into the spokes of my bike. I needed some faith people to come into my life and today I found two. Heather's blog and now yours. I am following and I just purchased the book for my Kindle Fire. I would love for you to stop by and visit my blog sometimes. Maybe even do a guest post? I'm a Southern gal too. Donna
http://mylife-in-stories.blogspot.com