home about speaking she cares resources contact

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

How Lost Car Keys Revolutionized My Prayer Life

Photo credit
“WHERE ARE MY KEYS? Dumb keys, you always make me late, late, late!” I shout as the alarm ticks. Eighty seconds to dump my purse on the bed and toss papers around on the kitchen counter, reset the alarm and dig some more repeating this process until I find my keys. Franticly I grab the keys from the top of the washing machine and yell at the kids to get their seatbelts buckled. N.O.W. or we’ll be late.
As the car backs out of the driveway, I turn up the radio to drown out sibling bickering and talk to myself in my head. “You lose everything. You made it a point to be prepared to leave on time. I can’t believe you lost the keys again. You are a total mess!”
I smirk as I recall the morning’s Bible reading:
Be cheerful no matter what; pray all the time; thank God no matter what happens. This is the way God wants you who belong to Christ Jesus to live. (1 Thes. 5:16-18)
I mean, pray all.the.time? Before I say “Amen,” I am already reciting the day in my head.  Pray continually? Because I wonder how this is possible, I keep asking God. I meditate on that simple verse that seems anything but easy. God nudges me to pay close attention to my voice. Especially the one in my head.
In my quest, I soon discover this morsel:
We use our powerful God-tools for smashing warped philosophies, tearing down barriers erected against the truth of God, fitting every loose thought and emotion and impulse into the structure of life shaped by Christ. Our tools are ready at hand for clearing the ground of every obstruction and building lives of obedience into maturity. (2 Cor. 10:5)
Fit every loose thought and emotion and impluse into the structure of life shaped by Christ. Another version says, “Take captive every thought and make it obedient to Christ.”
Does that mean I should be thankful and thank God all.the.time? Even for losing my car keys? Sort of.
I decide instead of acting like a crazy lady when I lose my car keys, I will pray.
Lord, You are the Finder of lost souls. Thank you for finding lost people and even lost things. I know you can lead me to my keys. Please keep me calm, level-headed and thinking clearly about where I could have placed them last. Thank you for building obedience and maturity in me through my crazy. Amen
Eventually, I find my keys. 
I pay attention to my thoughts. When my mind betrays me and starts thinking about how someone hurt me, I pray for the person. When I find myself trying to solve a frustrating situation, I stop and ask God for wisdom. When I start stressing over an empty freezer at dinner time, I ask God for a creative solution. When my day’s to do list seems overwhelming, I ask God to prioritize it.
I’m not saying I have this mastered. I’m saying I’m a work in progress. If you want to grow towards praying all the time too, pay attention to your thoughts. Then simply, turn them toward Jesus. 
And hang a hook for your keys by the door.

9 comments:

Erin said...

Love! I live in your crazy as well and I'm starting this NOW!

Donna McBroom-Theriot said...

I loved reading this story. I am a VERY organized person so when I can't locate something, I become a lunatic! I am learning to chill and call on Jesus and St. Anthony - who can find ANYTHING!! ANYTIME!! Those are my go to men. :)

It works every time. Donna

Kathy@ Gone North said...

Thanks for posting that story, Lisa...
I truly believe that our God is in the smallest details of our lives...even in lost keys... :-)
I have a huge sign in my entry, it says " In Everything, Give Thanks" It hangs there right where I pass 100 times a day....It is maybe 2 ft. high, by 5 ft. wide...almost bigger than me....AND YET I FORGET.... :-)
Thanks for reminding me tonight

Tera said...

Loved this Lisa! Shared it on my FB page :)

Melanie Dorsey said...

Very good advice for me, too!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

For me it is my cell phone ... I never know where it is.

Laura Boggess said...

A work in progress. That's me :). That's us. This scenario is all too familiar. Joining you in working on those inner voices!

Pamela said...

I have a friend who misplaced her keys in May--car, house, church. Yesterday in church she reached her hands in a purse pocket and there they were almost two months later. What a beautiful way you have in looking at losing. So thankful God finds lost souls because I was one of them!

lost toyota keys said...

Exactly the same thing happended with me few months ago and i was really disappointed, one of my

friends suggested me to try key replacement service they will definitely do something for you then

after lots of research about lost toyota keys i got a good solution.