home about speaking she cares resources contact

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Grace Drip


Photo credit here


These days, all days really, I need a continuous grace drip. A constant infusion to take away my sickness. 
Summer should be easier. However, four kids, all with socially active school-aged calendars is a wee bit trying. Having two at two different places by nine. One at ten. On at 11. One at 12. One at 1. One at 3. One at 6 and one at 6:30 makes some days an eight-plus hour marathon in the car. You know, there’s only so much Toby Mac my aching head can take!
And sometimes I’m not exactly where I said I would be when I said I would be there. You know, there are lost shoes to find, slow trucks to creep and much work to be done. It’s about an entire family. It’s not as easy as one might think to be two or three places at one time.
In all out afternoon explosion, I cracked. Just a little consideration, thank you. I’m inconvenienced a whole lot. I’m pumping the gas, squealing the tires and entertaining the masses in the momburban. It’s not that I don’t enjoy it. I do. It’s just I wish the attitude would get dropped at the door. 
Then I realize. I’m not exactly the most appreciative daughter. My Father sacrifices time. He made the Ultimate Sacrifice. He listens without ever getting a word in edgewise. He makes good, fun plans for me that I actually enjoy, even if the plan wasn’t my idea and even if I refuse to admit it. He’s always right.
Do I stop to thank Him? Do I stop to listen? Do I get upset at the inconvenience of His not running life, the world, on my timetable? Ummmm yeah. I do.
So Lord, please infuse me with your grace as I receive in response to Your sacrifice. The grace to freely show gratitude for plans I don’t fully understand. The power to gracefully weave onto a new path at your gentle directing. And Lord, please allow me to respectfully learn from the most perfect of Fathers how to humbly be a totally imperfect parent. 
Help me to measure my words with grace. Help me to distribute gratitude and rid my family of the illness of ungratefulness. Allow me the privilege of infusing them with grace, filling their little bodies, hearts, heads with all things grace. Help this imperfect mama to fully dose perfect abundant grace to her imperfect children. 
And by your grace, let us stop to give thanks, learning to take nothing for granted, hands raised to You for the greatest sacrifice You made so we could become perfect. Let the grace drip on, Toby Mac style.
Live generously and graciously toward others, the way God lives toward you. Matthew 5:48b

6 comments:

Kimberly said...

Oh, how I have been thinking I need grace, grace, and more grace with our summer schedule and the attitudes going on (mine included).

Great post, Lisa! One this momma needed. :) There was definitely a moment where I "cracked" this week. Not pretty.

May I let His grace flow into me and right back out of me.
Blessings,
K :)

Lelia Chealey said...

I need to do this to. My poor hubby is usually the recipient of my lack of grace, but I never thought until reading this that God is too. :( I know better, so I must do better. Thanks Lisa!

Jessica R. Patch said...

Beautiful post and yep, I sometimes get bent out of shape when God isn't working on my timetable. But I'm a work in progress! :)

Melanie Dorsey said...

I'm loving the prayer at the end. Amen!

Leah @ Point Ministries said...

Hmmm, convicting. I'm with Lelia, my man is usually on the receiving end of my un-gracefulness. Thanks for a thought provoking post!

Sandy @ God Speaks Today said...

I'm feeling a little lost myself this summer--feeling more like Julie the Cruise Director than loving and nurturing mother. And feeling like I'm failing miserably most days. Your post articulates it beautifully. Grace. That's what I need...grace.