home about speaking she cares resources contact

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Sprinkling Extraordinary

Exciting news. God uses ordinary [and I have a new hair color].

The [people] were amazed when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, for they could see that they were ordinary men with no special training in the Scriptures. They also recognized them as men who had been with Jesus. (Acts 4:13 NLT)

Recognition. Specialness in my ordinary. This is what I want. This gives me hope. I can have this [and a new hair color] when I meet with Jesus. He sprinkles His extraordinary all over my ordinary. 

As I was studying the Scriptures in my ordinary, not all that special way, [with a new hair color] God showed me a picture of how each of His masterpieces functions uniquely to reach hurting people. Actually, in case you're wondering, I study Scripture sitting in my big comfy leather chair surrounded by my favorite things. My NLT One-Year Bible and Bible Gateway on my iPad to look up cross references and parallel translations quickly. My cute zebra-striped journal for writing thoughts or ideas for future blog posts, Bible studies or speaking engagements and 3X5 spiral bound index cards for noting special verses to carry around in my purse. 


I also look up everything that sparks my imagination in my grandma's old big green Living Bible these days. I'm also reading Renee Swope's book, A Confident Heart right now. Some days I start with the one-year Bible, some days I start with A Confident Heart. I don't have a formula or strict routine. I just go and I sit; just me and Jesus getting cozy and exploring His written words. I try to sit until I hear Him speak something fresh to my stale heart. My heart tends to be like fresh bread, the longer it sits out, the quicker it grows stale. I need a protective barrier from all the living out that I do.


In chapter 8 of ACH, Renee says, "A woman with a confident heart chooses to believe that God wants to make an impact through her life, and she looks for ways to let Him." (p.154)


As I contemplate on ordinary and my own common life, mediocre talents and average abilities, I realize it's hard for me to choose to believe this. Today is the day I begin to live confidently and choose to believe I am chosen. Will you join me in living in this place?


Let's do what we love to do in our own special way and celebrate our uniqueness today remembering we were lovingly created by our Master's hands...

Photo credit
Carefully, thoughtfully and individually designed by God out of deep lovingkindness and rich creativity to minister in special one-of-a-kind ways


Did you know He made YOU to reveal Jesus to somebody else? There is at least one other person in this world needing your unique, one-of-a-kind touch. There is another waiting to hear your story, longing to see how His story fits on you. Maybe if you show off His fashion on you, somebody will else will have the courage to try on Jesus in their own life.

We must be confident as His individual masterpieces so Jesus' desire that ALL will find truth might be accomplished. "[Jesus] who wants everyone to be saved and to understand the truth." (1 Timothy 2:4) 


He doesn’t need us; yet He chooses us. You are chosen. I am chosen. We are a chosen people. This truth is upgrading my ordinary. 

When we spend time sitting with Jesus, He sprinkles His extraordinary all over our ordinary making something miraculous happen.

I hope you’ll watch this short video to see some extraordinary ordinary in action. [along with my new lighter hair color **wink wink**]

What type of pitcher are you and what special blend of refreshment are you offering others?

Remember we are chosen. Useful. Special.

For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago. Ephesians (2:10 NLT)


If you'd like encouragement on how God can use ordinary, sign up in the top left column and blog posts will come straight to your inbox.

3 comments:

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Great practical illustration with the different types of pitchers.

AND ... your hair is adorable.

Fondly,
Glenda

Cindy Bultema said...

Hey Lisa :)
I totally agree with Glenda! Love your illustration and your new hair/cut color is great!
Sweet blessings to you, my friend!
Cindy :)

Jenn said...

lisa I think you are one of the most beautiful woman I know.. what an extraordinary annointing you have. I was blessed today by you-- and love the hair!