home about speaking she cares resources contact

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Trash Talk: Week One A Confident Heart Online



Confident Heart

Do you talk to yourself? Me too! I find I can concentrate better when talking aloud. I can think clearly and remember things better. There’s just something about words coming out of my mouth that brings results.

Last year, 2011, God asked me to take inventory of my thoughts. I realized almost I talk trash to myself. Lots. I say things that would make my mama cringe. When dealing with myself, I take on the persona of the mean girl.

You’re so dumb, stupid, lazy, fat, ridiculous, annoying and ugly. You are such a loser. You can’t do anything right. You always mess things up.

These are only a sampling of the constant drone of my self-talk. The Word says “faith comes by hearing” (Romans 10:17) and the things I hear are trash. So, it’s no wonder my faith is so wobbly at times.

A few months ago, I accepted Renee’s challenge to “choose to embrace the reality of His measureless grace, unconditional love, and redeeming hope.” (p. 24) As I meditated on the vastness and unending nature of God’s grace. I developed a truth script to help me deal with situations that I would normally begin trashing myself over. I decided the things I hear would be filled with the power of God’s truth no matter how loudly my emotions shouted trash!

My go-to script goes something like this:
It would be wonderful if my husband agreed with me; but I am still completely accepted, totally secure, fully pleasing and 100% forgiven by God.

It would be great if my child had made a better choice; but I am still completely accepted, totally secure, fully pleasing and 100% forgiven by God.

It would be nice if I hadn’t had called that client by the wrong name; but I am still completely accepted, totally secure, fully pleasing and 100% forgiven by God.

See where I’m going here?

God showed Renee, “You can only see the shadow because you have turned away from the light. Turn back toward the light.” (p. 22) If we live turned toward the light, we have hope in this struggle because “doubt and hope cannot live in our hearts at the same time.” (p.23) Hope is what we need to see change as we go “beyond believing in Him to really believing Him.” (p. 24)

I’m giving myself two challenges based on Chapter 1 and I would love for you to join me. Learn to pay attention to the trash talk. Formulate a plan and use my script, or create your own, for turning trash talk into truth talk.

Remember how I told you I think more clearly and seem to remember things better when I talk out loud to myself? That’s why praying these truths out loud was an essential part of my transformation process. I know this makes some of you cringe with embarrassment.

Renee reminds us, “We can be confident we are praying God’s will when we pray God’s Word…When we pray God’s words out loud, and hear them, the Holy Spirit engraves them on our hearts and writes them in our thoughts. We internalize God’s truth as our faith grows and we are transformed from the inside out!” (p. 25)

Start with Renee’s prayer on page 26 and commit to praying it out loud at least once a day this week. I am writing it on an index card and carrying it with me. Each time I pull a healthy snack out of my purse, I will also pull out my card and pray—In the privacy of my car, of course. **smiles**

Turning our trash talk to truth talk, ignites the power of the Holy Spirit to release confident hearts in us. And after all, we are all gathered here because we want a confident heart, right?

4U: Leave a comment here about how you’re doing in the trash talk to truth talk department. Share your script. Let’s pray for each other!

And pop over to Renee’s if you have time. There are over 7,000 joining us in our transformation to A Confident Heart!

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Hi Lisa,
I hope you are well. This books sounds very good. I think I will order it and read your suggested prayer each day.
xxoo
Deborah