home about speaking she cares resources contact

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Look for the Tufts


Lisa


The Lord is my shepherd;
      I have all that I need.
He lets me rest in green meadows;
      he leads me beside peaceful streams.
He renews my strength.


An e-mail response to "Just Enough," sits in my inbox.


I have long loved Psalm 23.  As I meditate on it I see me running barefoot through lush meadows carpeted with soft green. Sunflowers dot the field perfectly and at the edge of green there is a crystal blue stream where I can sit on a smooth stone to rinse my feet. I fall to the water's soft edge kneeling to drink my fill of clear, quenching, spring water.


My bubble burst yesterday as I explored the links my friend sent. But ultimately left me with something much more precious than a bubble. She gave me truth. Thanks Tama!


I have long sought "the life I want." The main ingredient in this life is solution. In a happy life my problems are solved. My dreams are realized. My frustrations are settled.


"Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows." (John 16:33) I am learning to expect it. Daily.


Did you know the green pastures spoken of in Psalm 23 were most likely tufts of grass in Israel's desert land? The Israelite shepherd led his sheep to green patches in the desert where the sheep could take a bite and receive just enough to keep going.


Read here.


I find strange comfort in knowing my favorite Psalm was actually written to provide 'just enough' in a barren, desolate, desert place instead of ushering us into an unattainable utopia here on earth. A place free of problems, distractions, troubles and concern is waiting for me. It is not a goal to be achieved in this lifetime; it is my coming inheritance. Accepting these truths eases the 'always longing for more' in my soul. Living these truths settles joy, contentment and thanksgiving in my heart. He is setting me free to enjoy the life I have been given. Because He always gives me just enough to take the next step and rely on Him some more.





Get the rest of 31 Days Closer to the Life You Always Wanted delivered straight to your inbox, subscribe via e-mail in the top left margin.






3 comments:

Melanie said...

The "tufts" make sense to me. Green patches of life in a place that is not really our home.

Donnetta said...

THANK YOU for this fresh and new perspective on Ps. 23. WOW!

Clinging to the promise of... just enough...

bluecottonmemory said...

What is "just enough?" Some people think "just enough" barely covers the hunger. They don't leave the tuft satisfied - because to them that would be too much - and they don't feel they deserve to be filled. I think "just enough" satisfies, fills us up, but not over.

I love the history you provided. Your post was "just enough" - it blessed me!