home about speaking she cares resources contact

Monday, May 02, 2011

Kitchen communion

Lisa


Commune (verb): To be in a state of intimate, heightened sensitivity and receptivity

It was while I was going through cancer a friend first suggested I take communion at home. The idea was new to me. The thought had just never occurred to me before then.

One morning I got up, turned Dora on for my son, sat down at my kitchen table and took communion. The crackers, the wine, the Christ. It was beautiful.

Preparing my mind to heed the Spirit’s leading for the day energizes me. The intimacy of taking the representation of Christ's body into my own empowers me. Even if I sit down to the communion table empty or unfocused, I get up from that spot ready. Renewed for the day. Recharged. Receptive. I can see, hear and be whatever it is Jesus calls me to today. 

Here is a quick demonstration. Allow the simplicity of kitchen communion to fill ordinary days with extraordinary power.


PS There's still time to enter the HUGE give away. Just read yesterday's post and get jiggy with it.

7 comments:

Leah @ Point Ministries said...

What an awesome idea! I am seeing it done for shut-ins and patients who cannot get to church for communion. Great!!! Thanks.

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Loved, loved your video and encouragement to have kitchen communion.

Fondly,
Glenda

ps. (You are adorable in the video.)

Sandy Cooper said...

We did communion together as a family last week. It was cool and chaotic, all at the same time. Which pretty much sums up our family and my life.

Love you.
Sandy

Janette@Janette's Sage said...

Thank you for this reminder...I have done that in the past and need to do it again. What an awesome way to also start the month.

Wonder said...

love this! i'm spreading the word :)

Jen said...

You are such a beautiful woman, Lisa! I'm so glad that I have gotten to know you these past few months. We have communion every week at church, but since I work there, I don't always make it. This is a good thing for me to do on those weeks I miss.

Nana's Nuggets said...

Hi! Lisa, thanks for the reminder! I have wanted to do this ever since you talked about it a while back, I just so Love the very personal one-on-one- communion with Christ! I will be doing this! Have a great day!