home about speaking she cares resources contact

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Just Enough


Lisa


6:30 AM squawks my alarm clock. Jolted awake, the daily grind awaits me. My chest pounding I jump out of bed to begin routine. My heart racing signals my tardiness even before the beeping of the green neon light awakes me.

In an effort to get ‘caught up,’ I set my alarm for 6:00, then 5:30 and then 5:00. Finally resorting to 4:30 in desperation. My goal is to tame the heart, ease the list and realize the dream.

Frustration consumes me. All is futile, I realize as the weariness seeps into my bones. I sink to my knees, “How can I ever get it all done,” I cry.

He hears.

I have given you just enough.

Words spoken through a friend. A new twist to a familiar roaming in my soul. Always longing for more is second nature, as common to my heart as the blood it pumps. Always. Longing.

Just as God gave the Israelites just enough manna for one day in the desert, God gives us exactly what we need for each day. Do you ever feel overwhelmed by daily responsibility or crazed by the ticking away of minutes? Do you ever fret you’re not fully engaged and enjoying each moment that slips through our fingers like air?

I do. This war has consumed me for several years and only intensified when cancer tucked urgency to live deep inside my soul. This truth has helped me trust that God knows exactly what He’s doing in the life that He’s given me.

Now, when the pounding of the heart drives away the peace, I pray.

God, thank you that You have given me just enough time to accomplish all that You have for me today. No more. No less. Thank you that You’ve measured out and given me exactly what I need for right now. I pray that I would hear Your voice, respond quickly and not get side tracked. I pray I would focus my eyes on You instead of my list. Rearrange, prioritize and add or subtract from my list as You see fit. Thank you that if I listen to You and heed your commands, nothing will be wasted as I seek You in ALL I do today. Don’t let me get ahead of Your voice or fall behind Your steps. Thank you that You know exactly what I need and supply just enough for each day so that I keep coming to You for the day’s sustenance. Amen.

Every day of my life was recorded in your book.
   Every moment was laid out
      before a single day had passed. Psalm 139:16b NLT

He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago. Ephesians 2:10b NLT

And we will find grace to help us when we need it most. Hebrews 4:16b NLT



Get the rest of 31 Days Closer to the Life You Always Wanted delivered straight to your inbox, subscribe via e-mail in the top left margin.








4 comments:

andrea frazer said...

Wow, you have no idea how much I relate to this post. I just wrote about it myself. I am trying to rely on God more. I thank you for always reminding me about it. I ask for your prayers to make those 12 inches from my head to my heart real so that I can hold Jesus hand - not my on spinning brain - on my daily wake ups! Missed you!

Jen said...

Just enough. What an amazing mantra that can get me through my day. So glad we serve a God who is the giver of all good things.

Mindy said...

Wow - so powerful! And just what I needed to read. Thank you!

Heart n Soul said...

Nice to read your 31 days post.... found you over at Jen's. Glad He is more than enough :)