home about speaking she cares resources contact

Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Bite the Bullet

Lisa
Ten weeks ago, I bit the bullet.

I hired a personal trainer.

You see, I was bored with running. Burned out on pushing myself day after day. Alone.

My oncologist said I needed to work out five days a week for 30 minutes. I wasn't pushing myself. So I  bought some accountability. For a high price, I might add. Or maybe it wasn't so much. I saw results.

Average workouts breed average results. I need above average health to push cancer away and to fight it should it return. It's worth the investment.

In eight weeks I lost 3% body fat, 1.24 inches from my waist, .25 inches around my arms, .4 inches from my thighs and one pound! Yes, those are decimal points but negative ones!!

I now feel comfortable in shorts and sleeveless tops. Proof, you don't have to lose pounds to feel better in your body. I have a customized and fun weight resisting circuit workout that can double as a cardio workout two days a week.

It's been three weeks. I am already getting bored of the weight room by myself. I will probably hire Mr. Trainer again to help me keep working out through the transition from school to summer because I can so easily justify not getting in a good workout with the kids home. I'm great at justifying NOT working out!

I have finally learned that sometimes it's worth it to just bite the bullet and hire the trainer, join the gym, buy the expensive running shoes that don't hurt or skip mopping the floor to work out in order to invest in my health.

What bullets have you bitten lately in the name of health?

Be sure to receive all "31 Days Closer to the Life You Always Wanted" by subscribing to Glad Chatter by entering your email address in the upper left margin.





6 comments:

Leah @ Point Ministries said...

I, too, changed up my exercise routine. After years and years of just walking, I have added a couple of days each week of swimming. It has made a big difference.

Shelly @ Life on the Wild Side said...

I just started the Couch to 5K program with my 13 year old daughter. She wants to run a 5K with me in June. Let me tell you, I am NOT a runner, but I would do anything to be a good example to my kids, so I am biting a really hard bullet right now. :)

lisasmith said...

WAY TO GO Shelly!!!!!

@Leah, I'm training for a triathlon later this month... I haven't tried the swim part yet. :/

Melanie said...

Love it!

B His Girl said...

I am still recovering from my knee injury so no running or long walks yet. Hopefully I will be able to do more soon. Years ago I had a trainer for a 6 weeks to get a routine. It was a big help to me and my friend. Go Lisa...Are you going to She Speaks? B

Sandy Cooper said...

I bit the bullet to give up sugar, dairy and grains for 31 days. What the heck????? It's a good thing I have a great accountability partner who jumped right in there with me (nudge, nudge).

By the way, I allowed myself a home made choc chip granola bar tonight. And it was delightful.

But I'm back on the wagon tomorrow.