home about speaking she cares resources contact

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Be-Come


Lisa
“Life is the end of life; Life, life and more life.” Eugene Peterson


Around here May explodes and summer happens.


Everyday makes me feel like a loser when I don’t post something of value, clean my house, fold my laundry, organize my pantry, parent with finesse, cook a healthy meal, leisurely tuck children in bed, paint my girls’ walls, unpack the last two boxes, finish my bio sheet, start my book proposal, swim 400 meters, respond to YOU my faithful readers, you get the idea.


Trying to capture the life I want in words also makes me feel like a loser. (Did I really promise Sandy I’d do this?) I resolve to do things like: mother with passion, clean with a vengeance, organize with gusto and train like a maniac. I push myself to express half-baked ideas. When my book isn’t written and my calendar’s isn’t booked and my reach isn’t reaching, I feel hormonal, estrogen-crazed, neurotic, and worse—lifeless.


And when I get lifeless, creative juices stop flowing because it takes passion-filled quietness for ideas to bake. Passion breeds creativity and creativity takes time. Time that seems to vaporize with May’s explosion and gives way to the wonderful, lazy chaos that is summer. Hooray for wonderful and lazy; but woe to the chaos that resides without the routine of school.


That’s when I’m reminded the goal of this life is life. Life. And I find life in the being. Not in the coming. And going. And doing.


And the beginning of being is being in His presence. And it’s in the coming to Him that I find the being.


Now don’t get me wrong. I have a shopping list for today filled with things like nails, wood putty and paint chips. So I can do. But first, I will just be.


“If we have a destination—in this case a life lived to the glory of God—there is a well-marked way, the Jesus-revealed way.” Eugene Peterson, Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places


Be: You make known to me the path of life;
you will fill me with joy in your presence,
with eternal pleasures at your right hand. Psalm 16:11 NIV emphasis mine


Come: Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28 NLT emphasis mine


Become: And when God is personally present, a living Spirit, that old, constricting legislation is recognized as obsolete. We're free of it! All of us! Nothing between us and God, our faces shining with the brightness of his face. And so we are transfigured much like the Messiah, our lives gradually becoming brighter and more beautiful as God enters our lives and we become like him. 2 Corinthians 3:18b The Message emphasis mine







4 comments:

Melanie said...

“Life is the end of life; Life, life and more life.”
I'm counting on this.

Jill Beran said...

I can relate to those great intentions that end in failure! Along with the bit about losing passion in the midst of it all, but so true life is life! Thanks again for reminding me to be so often I can get that mixed up with do...may we always remember that God calls us to seek HIM much more than serve HIM! I just wrote on my blog today about the quote, "The greatest honor we can give God is to believe Him." All to often I think to honor God I need to do something for Him, but really I need to believe Him always, even during the explosive moments of life!! And Lisa as I read your talk about feeling like a loser, remember feelings lie and sometimes we just have to boss them around!! You are not a loser my friend!!

Jen said...

There seems to be a dynamic shift in you today, Lisa. Your words are always wonderful, but today, today, there is something more in them. Do you feel it?

Cindy Bultema said...

Dear Lisa ~
What powerful words! I love this... "And the beginning of being is being in His presence. And it’s in the coming to Him that I find the being....But first, I will just be."
A perfect reminder as we hit the middle of May with all of its many demands.
First, I will just be.
Love you~
Cindy :)