home about speaking she cares resources contact

Thursday, April 07, 2011

The Really Long but Really Good Day.

In the news...You all need to pop in tomorrow morning because I have a HUGE surprise!! Tomorrow I will also be hosting a link up here (if I can figure out Mr. Linky) and it's easy. Just think of someone who needs prayer and share their need. More info in the morning, folks...so exciting!!!
Visit Amber and friends for more Backpacking Through Joshua.

Today is a Joshua day and I am reposting a book review. If you haven't read this book, you should. If you are studying the book of Joshua and haven't read this, it's a must. Just in case, you missed it the first time:


The same week I began a Bible study called Backpacking Through Joshua, I started reading Steven Furtick’s book Sun Stand Still. I wanted to read the book when it was released months ago but God wanted me to pay attention to His message in Joshua so He preached it to me twice, once through Amber and once through Steven.

Furtick makes ‘audacious faith’, the ability to believe God for the impossible, totally contagious. He not only strives to make believers take hold of their faith, hold it up to the Light and inspect it, he propels his readers to activate it.

He spends a great deal of time in the book talking about a ‘Page 23’ vision or personal vision. I have a personal vision. I’ve been struggling with my personal vision for years. It seems so big; I have no idea where to start or what to do. For many years I wondered if it was really God’s idea at all or just my own imagination. So for a long time I did nothing. I even quit dreaming.

Furtick addresses this very thing in the book saying, “If the size of the vision for your life isn’t intimidating to you, chances are it’s insulting to God.” (Which, by the way, is my favorite quote this year.)

Furtick goes on to say we need God to make our visions a reality and there is an end to our faith—but not to God’s faithfulness. We can count on that. “God didn’t encourage Joshua according to Joshua’s faith. He encouraged Joshua according to his own faithfulness.” In other words, God gave you the vision and He will give you what you need to see it through in such a way that it will be all about Him.

I am also encouraged to jump into my personal vision with both feet because Furtick says, “The opposite of Page 23 vision is survival mode.” The frustration and depression that settle over me when life gets so hard and frenzied that I am barely surviving is a state I loathe. I have been timid to jump into my personal vision for fear of living an unbalanced life. In essence I have been causing what I have been trying to avoid. All because I’ve been fearful that adding the responsibilities that come with pursuing my own vision will be too much added to my already hectic lifestyle. 

With colorful language, Furtick makes the reader really dig deep to find his own unique calling and uncover the ways God created him to specifically bring God fame. Furtick says this on how your own personal vision will come to life, “It will start with a seed of inspiration that takes root in your imagination. Over time, it will produce a harvest of obedience for the glory of God. And the whole process will take place deep in the soil of your faith. … Seizing his big purpose for your life … is about mining the depths of who you are in him. And out of that revelation, you will fulfill the purpose that he put you on the earth to fulfill.”

He inspires the reader to get to work cultivating the tiny seeds and glimmers of hope that God has buried deep within. He goes on to talk about praying ‘Sun Stand Still’ prayers—the prayers that supernaturally fuel our desires with the faith the march forward.

Experiencing miracles like the one Joshua experienced when the sun stood still, requires not only praying with what Furtick calls audacious faith, it also requires activating that faith by moving forward. When God calls Joshua to slaughter his enemies, he calls Joshua to march all night to start the battle. God promises him the victory and Joshua boldly asks for more time to complete it. 

The day the sun stood still was birthed with the sunrise after marching all night. It was a long day that started long before the sun ever rose at all. God made sure everyone knew that it was His power at work that day. Because Joshua and his army had none left!

Furtick says hope is the desire to change the world for Jesus; faith is demonstrating it. He goes so far as to say, “If you are going to ask God to make the sun stand still, you better be prepared to march all night.”

Furtick not only lives his message and shares many everyday examples of audacious faith, he is bringing as many believers with him as possible. “There are concepts and contributions flowing inside you that need to be released for the world to hear. … Praying Sun Stand Still prayers … is about making your move, “ Furtick challenges. If you see God using you to change the world or even just a corner of it, this book will push you, encourage you and challenge you. If you desire to do something big for Christ, pick up this book. 

World-changers, this book is for you!

 ***I received a free copy of this book from Waterbrook Multnomah in exchange for my honest review of it posted here.

2 comments:

Hillcrest Cottage said...

Very exciting... looking forward to hearing about your vision!

Gretchen said...

Sun Stood Still. An incredible thought, isn't it? And yet, He's capable of so much more than my little thinking gives him credit. Great thoughts here, Lisa. I can relate to so much of what you've written. xxxooo