home about speaking she cares resources contact

Wednesday, March 02, 2011

God in my running

One of the things I love about exercise is that it makes me feel stronger. Physical strength is what draws me to run. When I run regularly, it becomes a place God talks to me. As I take step after step, I hear His voice and with each whisper, He changes me.

I'm finding that the more I stick to my 30 minutes of running each day feel like it or not, the more benefits I see. Developing perseverance and self discipline are among the top reasons I am keeping at it. These character traits don't just help me become a better runner or get in better shape physically. They are causing me to strengthen my spiritual muscles and exercise my faith in a different way. A better, stronger way. And I'm seeing results. In my body and in my heart. Just as God intended.

"Exercise daily in God ... Workouts in the gymnasium are useful, but a disciplined life in God is far more so, making you fit both today and forever. You can count on this. Take it to heart. This is why we've thrown ourselves into this venture so totally. We're banking on the living God ... Teach...with your life... Stay at your post reading Scripture... Cultivate these things. Immerse yourself in them... Keep a firm grasp on both your character and your teaching. Don't be diverted. Just keep at it. Both you and those who hear you will experience salvation." From 1 Timothy 4 The Message

I love how God captures my attention, says something and then just for good measure to make sure I didn't miss His encouragement, He says it again.

And to experience a "spiritual journey with great physical benefits," check out New York Times bestseller Made to Crave by Lysa TerKeurst.

5 comments:

Lisa Elliott said...

Praise God *GLORY* I have been praying for you since I have found this page keep your head up high and keep the Faith doing great God is so good Huh all the time and all the time our God is good Amen

lisasmith said...

Thank you Lisa :)

Leah @ Point Ministries said...

You are so right. Just as exercise strengthens my physical body, so it also does my spirit. I pray while I walk or swim. Not sure who is in better shape...me or Jesus! :)

The other thing that I think is wonderful to strengthen your spiritual person is Scripture memorization. I work on that some while i walk as well.

Leah

stephanie said...

Lisa, thank you so much for visiting my page. I so admire you. I really have a hard time sticking to my workout plan....ughhhhh. But, discipline is definately an area I could use some work in, guess it's time to lace up the shoes again, LOL!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I have just begun "Made to Crave." I even exercised yesterday :).

Fondly,
Glenda