home about speaking she cares resources contact

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Exchanged

I saw the cutest brown sandals at the mall a few weeks ago! Since then the main thought taking residence in my mind is whether or not they might be on sale. And when the sale is occurring and I happen to be there will they still have my size. Seriously, important thoughts occupying my mind. All.the.time. Because I'm not shallow or anything.

Recently I heard an idol defined as anything I can't stop thinking about. 

Jeremiah 2:11-13
Has a nation ever changed its gods?
(Yet they are not gods at all.)
But my people have exchanged their Glory for worthless idols.
Be appalled at this, O heavens,
and shudder with great horror," declares the LORD.
"My people have committed two sins:
They have forsaken me,
the spring of living water,
and have dug their own cisterns,
broken cisterns that cannot hold water.

This has always been one of my favorite passages so I decided to spend some time here meditating, pondering, thinking, seeking.

We have exchanged our glory for worthless idols.

Exchanged. Traded. Given in return for.

Glory. Wealth. God's character.

In us. Traded. For trash.

It's like having a beautiful diamond wedding ring and trading it for one from a gumball machine because we believe it looks prettier, sparkles more or that the person who gave it to us actually loves us more than one who would spend a huge savings purchasing a valuable ring for us.

Many times I have exchanged glory for belonging or acceptance by someone other than God.

I know me. Given half a chance, there are many days I'd trade my glory for a pair of shoes.

Glory for a fit of anger.

Glory for "my rights."

In an instant, a poor choice and all my glory is gone. God is not glorified and I wonder why I feel so empty and dry.

In an instant I am no different than the prodigal who got together all he had and squandered it in a foreign land. Only I am so much worse. I do it minute by minute without even realizing what I am doing. We all do.

This is not a new revelation. Romans 1:25 says, "They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. "

We have the glory of God in us. God. in. us. Yet, we trade it for so much less.

We give it away only to find ourselves standing, thirsty, at empty wells trying desperately to draw water from dust. Empty. Dirty. Exhausted. Fleshly and unglorified. We search for Living Water in the desert and try to drink from cracked pitchers.
Thankfully, his word says all we need to do is repent and draw near to him and his fullness will be revealed in our lives.

Instead of popularity and anger and shoes, I want to see him. When I seek him, I will find him.

"You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:13



Today I'm linking here with Tiffini for Words for Women Wednesday. Enjoy!

6 comments:

BFM said...

Gave me chills, Lisa. I like the scipture about things fading away. I used to love pedicures, but can't afford them now and think...the paint just chips off in a week anyway. Is it really that important - no!! Only God is everlasting! Good to fellowship with you today!

Andrea said...

No more pedicures here....have to be more careful with the $. Great verses!

I have a prayer request at arise 2 write.
andrea

Jen said...

I just wrote a guest post for Mommy on Fire about idolatry, too. There are so many things in this world vying for our attention. I am grateful that we serve a jealous God that wants us for Himself and does not give us over to those things of this world that quickly fade.

Trudy said...

This is beautiful Lisa. Thank you so much for sharing. I do this ALL the time and you are right, don't give it a second thought to realize I have put God in the backseat. Convicting words, but so true and important!

God's blessings to you!

Tiffini said...

that verse in Jer has always pricked me too. It breaks my heart how quickly I can do this. Truly we cry out who will deliver me from this body...it is such a battle of the flesh and spirit. Oh how we love Him and yet..beautiful words and I thank you for sharing them today. What a nice way to enjoy the after dinner time to sit down with friends and read such encouraging words yes?
xo

Robyn Q said...

"I do it minute by minute without even realizing what I am doing." - You said it right there. Thanks for the reminder today. :)