home about speaking she cares resources contact

Monday, March 28, 2011

East West Forgiveness

“Mom, what makes forgiving our sins as far as the east is from the west such a big deal?” my daughter asked as we were driving down the road.

Being a mom for eleven years has taught me one thing.  Think before you answer. I thought through my answer because that’s really, really far away, honey. And then the lameness of how close the east coast is to west coast on a map. And sent a desperate prayer up for help. My typical mom prayer: H-E-L-P!!!

Thankfully, I had my previous night’s encounter with God’s grace to draw from but I wanted her (and my other three children who were listening) to understand how awesome and almost unbelievable God’s forgiveness is.

Before I could start my answer, she kept talking, “I learned that north and south meet but east and west go on forever.” Now my own ears perked up because I had no earthly idea what she was talking about. But I wanted to. I did what any person in my situation would do. I called a smart teacher-type friend.

There are two points where north and south meet. The North Pole and the South Pole. If you walk north, you only walk north until you reach the North Pole; then once you cross it, you begin walking south. You walk south until you reach the South Pole and then once again, you are walking north.

This is not so with east and west. If you begin a journey walking east, you will never be walking west unless you turn around and go the opposite direction.

“As far as the east is from the west,
   so far has he removed our transgressions from us.” Psalm 103:12

That means God hasn’t just taken our sins far away from us or chosen to forget them; He has actually taken our sins to a point that doesn’t exist. God has separated us from our sins forever. The only time we are reunited with our past mistakes is when we decide to dwell there.

Little girl that is why this east west type forgiveness is such a big deal.





14 comments:

Anita said...

A little science lesson and a lesson on forgiveness...I love it!
I know I'll be using it. :)

Loren said...

WOW!!!! That is soooo good Lisa!! DOn't you just love it when our kids TEACH US!! Divine moment for all involved I would say!

Happy MOnday

Andrea said...

AMEN....I need HIM more and more each day!

Kelly said...

Learn something new everyday! ~Hugs~

Sara G said...

Amen and so glad He is a forgiving Father!

Mrs.Olson said...

That was awesome. Thank you so much !

Tiffini said...

LOVE it ... I am smiling BIG at this. Isn't God just amazing in His truth...the way the earth and all that is in it tell of Him...amazing.
xo

bluecottonmemory said...

I totally love this! I didn't know that the east and west never met - I just thought it was pretty dog-gone far! Cannot wait to talk about this with my sons!

I love those car conversations!

Jen said...

Oh, this is good. So tangible, but not, because the unfathomability of this (I don't know if that is a word) is kind of the point. Oh, our God is big!

Rachy said...

Powerful! To a point that doesn't exist. What a great God we serve!

Andrea said...

so good. it's like God is screaming his love for us everywhere we look, even in our basic directions...i love this reminder.

Pamela said...

I have to seek His forgiveness so often. It's joyous to know they are truly forgiven--and it's a big deal!

Great Momma-ing!
Blessing,
Pamela

stephanie said...

Love this! What an amazing daughter you have...must be because she has a mama who loves Jesus so much! And who teaches her baby how much Jesus loves her :)

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

I love the sweet truth of this post, Lisa, and your intentionality to teach it to your kids . . . wow. Good job, mom.

Fondly,
Glenda