home about speaking she cares resources contact

Monday, March 21, 2011

Achy Fingers and Full Hearts


Blessed are those who find wisdom, those who gain understanding … when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet. Proverbs 3:13 &24

Practicing truth gives life to my soul.

As a little girl I developed a horrible habit of replaying my entire day before I went to sleep at night. I had each conversation again and again until I got my response exactly right. I took up for myself in fights, had witty comebacks in the popular social circles and wore matching socks with my brown leather knee high boots.

In my mind, these perfect responses eased stress. In actuality, the reruns stole my peace and ability to sleep. My own thoughts took life from me. It wasn’t until I became a sleep-deprived mommy that I could lay my head on the pillow and fall into immediate slumber.

While I don’t have the time or energy to replay each day’s scenes at night, I noticed a few weeks ago my tendency to dwell on the faulty ones. Two weeks ago I made the choice to focus on the day’s successes instead of the failures.

One day last week, it was praising God the children cooperated and carried the giant baskets of laundry upstairs. That was it. We did other not-as-successful activities but that day we did that one perfectly.

Last night, I went to bed praising God for the mess in my kitchen my daughter made baking her own cake. A yes to cake baking allowed a really special conversation before bed last night. Saying no to the dishes in the sink gave me time to sit on the deck and enjoy the perfect weather with my husband. Lingering at bedtime provided divine moments of prayer. Putting off my list gave a little girl the cuddle time she desires.

My fingers ache to check off the last item on my list before I say goodbye to another day. Sometimes my fingers ache to just cross off one item.

But if I find myself treating my loved ones as interruptions to my to do list instead of the other way around, I find myself replaying failures as I seek rest. If I put off my list for another day and spend my time loving others, sweet sleep, refreshment and peace come naturally.

I’m learning to practice truth by encouraging success to grow in my soul. My life depends on it.

I'll share with you the big moment I recognized this bad habit and the embarrassing situation that led to it later this week. First I want to hear from you. How will you celebrate your successes today?


7 comments:

Andrea said...

Thank you so much for your prayers, encouragement,love, and support.
andrea

Sara G said...

I know I need to focus on successes more instead. I am thanking God this morning for my daughter who turned around in the doorway wanting a hug before she went to her bus stop. Thank you for this post. Have a great day and wonderful week. God bless!

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

This is such a lovely reminder, Lisa, that our families matter more than our lists. A tricky balancing act for sure.

Fondly,
Glenda

Laura said...

Hi, Lisa! Just dropping by to catch up a little. This scenario sounds familiar. Keep practicing truth, girlfriend! Sending hugs your way.

Shelly @ Life on the Wild Side said...

So interesting, Lisa . . . my daughter has a hard time falling asleep most nights. I can't understand it because I fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow, but I think you've helped me understand her a little better. She's probably mentally going through her day like you do. Hmmmmm.

Big Fat Mama! said...

Encouraging post! I'm going to just praise God for being with me all day and never leaving my side! Okay...now write more about what you were going to write about! :)

Sandy Cooper said...

I LOVE THIS POST!!!!!!!!

It is exactly what I need to hear. I'm really growing in this area, but I have a long way to go. Thanks for wording it so perfectly.

Have I told you lately how much I love you??????