home about speaking she cares resources contact

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Pawn



Today started at 3:30 AM. My precious son woke up screaming because he was attacked by a virus. Let's just say screaming wasn't the only thing coming from his mouth.


I've scrubbed, washed, bleached, dried and repaired virus damage. I've showered, rocked, read, cuddled and fed sick son.


Right now it's 11:00 AM and I am supposed to be in the middle of talking to a MOPS group. My son is supposed to be at school and this day is not supposed to be going this way.


My brain struggled with these thoughts at 3:36 AM as I started the washing machine and again at 4:16 AM as I Lysol wiped the couch and again at 4:48 AM as I settled in to sleep a bit. Then a peace settled over me. I am supposed to be right here living my message.



He tends his flock like a shepherd:
   He gathers the lambs in his arms
and carries them close to his heart;
   he gently leads those that have young. Isaiah 40:11

You see God knew.
God knew I would be here in my sleep deprived state clad in my animal print pajamas rocking my baby boy today instead of dressing cute and speaking to precious mommies He has a beautiful message for. He is God. He doesn't need me to spread His fame, although; I'm thankful He uses me.
When I realized what was happening at 3:30 this morning, my first reaction was panic. I hate throw up.  My baby was sick and I had a speaking engagement. Then I got mad. The enemy of our hearts used my son as a pawn in this battle to share the love of Christ with a dying world. The enemy will go to great lengths to keep God's love away from others.

And I am not okay with that.

I prayed over my son with every used Lysol wipe, every stroke of his sweaty forehead and every load of laundry. I prayed over those mommies and I prayed over their hearts. I prayed protection and I prayed the words God has for them would be heard. In their hearts. With God. Without me. As I prayed God reminded me of the great lengths He goes to in order to reach the hearts of His creation.



None of this fazes us because Jesus loves us. I'm absolutely convinced that nothing—nothing living or dead, angelic or demonic, today or tomorrow, high or low, thinkable or unthinkable—absolutely nothing can get between us and God's love because of the way that Jesus our Master has embraced us. Romans 8:38-39

As God's sweet promises settled over me. I knew I would mother my children in my quiet of my own home today. I knew my ministry would take place treading the path from the couch to the kitchen instead of burning the road from Lake Conroe to Aggieland. And I knew I would eventually make it a MOPS meeting when my children were well.

And I am okay with that.

Because God knew.
So I thanked Him for giving me this opportunity to mother.

For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do…Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise,  making the most of every opportunity. 
Ephesians 2:10 & 5:15-16


8 comments:

BFM said...

Praying your son gets better soon. I love how you reminded us that nothing can separate us from God's love. I love Ephesians 1:9, which reminds us of His will to all be under Christ.

Shelly @ Life on the Wild Side said...

Love this, Lisa. Sometimes it's easy to forget that being a mother is our highest calling. And to be thankful. Or maybe that's just me. . . . :)

Kissed by the Creator said...

So loved this! You were right where you needed to be. I am 2 for 3 on the virus. Middle child has not gotten it yet. I am preparing to speak on thursday on HOPE. My husband flew in the door on the way to the gym and to drop my youngest at swimming and said, I need your car the brake line went on my truck. Now I need to find a way to my speaking engagement while the truck is in the shop. OY. I pray that your son feels better and that others will be blessed by reading your post the way I was! There will be other talks, you'll never have this moment back with sick child. I find they are more snuggly that way as they get older :)

Sonja said...

Lisa:

The sweet picture in my mind is you being there and cuddling and mothering your precious boy! All the ladies are important, but he is your real mission and you blessed his life by being there and loving him today. Good going! :)

Stacy@hiswaynotmine said...

Lisa,
I am so sorry that your son got hit with the stomach flu! It has been nasty this season. And yes, Satan will go to great lengths to stop the message of the cross from being shared. But God did have a purpose and He needed you right where you were today....as you said so beautifully, tending to the flock that He has blessed you with inside your four walls.

I pray your son feels better quickly and no one else gets "attacked!"

Much love,
Stacy

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Right here... living my message.

That will preach, sister. In fact, I think you did. How I pray to always live my message in the fullest of ways in my household.

You are a good mother, teacher, disciple of Jesus.

Keep to it.

peace~elaine

kiddo1024 said...

Lisa, you are one wonderful, daughter of God. So blessed to be hiking alongside you and see how passionately you pursue God! Thinking of Ephesians 6 and can picture you strapping on the Armor of God. Blessing, my new, sweet friend! xoxo

Lisa Buffaloe said...

Beautiful message, but I'm so sorry your son is sick. Praying for him and you and the rest of the family.

Gentle healing hugs,
Lisa