home about speaking she cares resources contact

Monday, February 07, 2011

My Gilgal


I am Backpacking Through Joshua with Amber and campers this week.

The ‘Big God experiences’ of my life make up the stones that are the altar of my heart. The youth group where God met me in my brokenhearted state. The youth camp where God first called me to tell my story. The church where God taught me He still speaks. The weekend He set me free from depression and fear. The day my oncologist told me I didn’t need chemo after all because I was a miracle cancer case. The weekend I spent with other women who long to tell their stories just like me. 

All these experiences are stones that sit in my heart making a beautiful place to worship and sacrifice to my God. These experiences with a God who is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow make up the me—who longs to tell the world of His goodness. 

Telling stories is the easiest way to pass down our faith heritage, I tell my children stories just as my parents and grandparents told me stories: About my birth, about how my grandparents met, about the church I was born in, about traveling to different parts of the world. About mission trips and times spent in prayer and lessons learned in everyday life.

I tell my children stories about their names’ meanings, about the ways I pray for them and why. I tell my children about how God has big plans for their lives just like He had big plans for people like Joshua, David, Esther and their dad and me.

“It was there at Gilgal that Joshua piled up the twelve stones taken from the Jordan River. Then Joshua said to the Israelites, “In the future your children will ask, ‘What do these stones mean?’ Then you can tell them, ‘This is where the Israelites crossed the Jordan on dry ground.’ For the Lord your God dried up the river right before your eyes, and he kept it dry until you were all across, just as he did at the Red Sea when he dried it up until we had all crossed over. “ (Joshua 4:20-23 emphasis mine)

When I read about the place Gilgal in Joshua 4. I began to wonder where my Gilgal is. I know I have stones piled in my heart but that is not a place often tread by others' soles. 

Gilgal comes from the Hebrew word meaning wheel or roll.

Is there a place in my life others cross and are filled with wonder? I want a part of my life to take Jesus to my family and beyond.

God tells me to start sharing my stories in writing and I start this blog. I write here so my children will have a record of my faith but this blog quickly becomes more than a place to remember; it is a vehicle that takes His goodness and faithfulness into the world. Because of it, I receive invitations to tell my story other places.

This blog is built with the stones that make the altar of my heart. This blog is my Gilgal.

“…So all the nations of the earth might know that the Lord’s hand is powerful, and so you might fear the Lord your God forever.” Joshua 4:24b


13 comments:

His Girl said...

lisa. for real.

what a beautiful, amazing, poignant post. you are on the point throughout. Lots of sentences in there that I could quote, but I'm picking this one this morning: These experiences with a God who is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow make up the me—who longs to tell the world of His goodness.

totally worth the wait.

Jen said...

Wow. Lisa, this is one of your best.
Love you, girl.

Mining for Diamonds said...

Amen!!!! As I was reading, and you asked the question "what is my Gilgal", and you said you knew it wasn't in your heart, I was going to answer "Your BLOG!!!!" I was saying it before I read it! Yes, your blog is an inspiration and amazing. It has helped to bring direction to my life...it was through your blog that I first heard of She Speaks and because of that, I'm going this year! That is totally a GOD thing. But that's not all I got from your blog. When I read it, I knew I had met a kindred spirit because you are the first person I've come across that has articulated the vision I have carried in my own heart...to share my story through the vehicle of writing, speaking, and for me playing my violin for others. That has been the deepest desire of my heart...and I am not only excited that God is finally putting me on that path, but that I have you to thank for providing much inspiration and motivation. Even as I was reading your cancer story, I knew you would be healed. I just knew. God has gifted me with a bit of a prophetic insight (that I don't always understand and spend an awful lot of time wrestling with) and I knew without a doubt that not only would you come through your cancer journey, but that it served as a sort of fertilizer to further the growth of your future ministry. (How fitting...I am sure it was pretty crappy to go through!) Girl, you are just getting started...the best is yet to come for you. Keep blogging, dreaming, and declaring and decreeing your purpose. It will surely come to pass!

God's Guitar Girl said...

As I read this, I imagined you as Johnny Appleseed, dropping your Joshua stones here and there, and one day you're going to turn around and not be able to see the ground any more for all of the stones you have that mark out what an amazing journey you've had.

Your posts are so beautifully written, and I can't wait each week to read a little more!

jenny said...

There is power and beauty in your words. Thank you. This is my first time here, and I'm in awe. You are a beautiful woman of faith. And it ignites others. Thanks for dropping over to my blog. And I'm SOOOO glad I found yours. My Mother too (at age 48) wrestled with cancer... double masectomy, chemo, all that. And she's here... more beautiful than ever, more full of life than ever, more full of God... and YOU are TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kendal said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog today! i love this reminder to remember and to tell and retell. thank you.

Andrea said...

Awesome post...as always. I am blessed beyond blessed when I come here. THANK YOU!

I have an award for you at Arise 2 Write. It is the second post down.

I have a prayer request at All Gods Creatures.

Blessings,
andrea

snoodlings.com said...

Wow, Lisa! What beautiful stones you're using to build a monument to God's glory!

Cindy said...

Yes! It is a wonderful place to tell the stories of God's grace, mercy and peace! His miracles, His Hope! Thank you for sharing the stories I've read! Thank you for sharing your heart!! I always Pray I do the same with my blog:)

Denise said...

Awesome.

jenny said...

Hey Lisa... I just posted today about my parents ... it's their anniversary this weekend... and I talk about their going through my mom's breast cancer. You might like it. It made me think of you.

Jill Beran said...

Great post! My children love stories as well and actually today we worked through a hard one for the first time - I told them about a miscarriage we'd experience 2+ years ago. It was hard and there were tears, but God was at work!! Stones of rememberance are a wonderful thing!!

Lisa I saw your comment on Renee's blog and echo your words, "I'm starting to realize my biggest problem isn't that I don't believe God is who He says He is but it's that I don't believe who He says I am." Actually that ties in perfectly with a series God has put on my heart titled "Who am I?" If you ever have a minute I'd love for you to stop by and share your thoughts!

Blessings to you and so thankful to experience your Gilgal!!

microsoft outlook exchange said...

Wonderful post! Great job!