home about speaking she cares resources contact

Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Crazy Morning, Chili Day

This morning was a little crazy. It might have something to do with the fact that my seven-year-old son, Hunter had his first baseball practice last night. On the same night Julia has soccer and Alyssa has swimming. Every child having an activity at once is a common occurrence around here. One of said activities ended at 9:00 last night. Ahem. I won't say which one. I'll just tell you it's the one where men, not moms, run the league.


So yesterday we left the house a little before 5:00 yesterday afternoon and returned home dirty and hungry at 9:30 last night. The kids showered while I warmed dinner.


I tried a new chili recipe. My bff, Ashley's recipe. She took two, married them and they had a glorious baby. The best chili you ever tasted. Of course, my family had some helpful hints on how I could make their second child even more perfect. Which they shared with me while smacking their lips, cleaning their bowls and helping themselves to seconds. Even though it was 10:00 PM and 70 degrees outside we thoroughly enjoyed our chili.


Then we had a morning.


A storm blew the electricity out at 6:03 AM. I dragged myself out of a warm dark bed close to 7:00 to find my girls getting ready in the dark. With their book lights wrapped around their necks so they could see. It made my day. What could have been hectic and ended in foul play or a foul mood was welcomed with some ingenuity and a little laughter. We all even made it to school on time. Just after that same storm took our nice 70 degree weather down into the thirties. 


I'm excited that we might get snow. And I still have chili.


I'm not announcing the giveaway winner just yet. I know. I know. How long can one really drag out the suspense? But the wait will be worth it when my other chica, the jewelry Ashley announces the special she's running in conjunction with the winner. So stay tuned and go enter.


And to keep you satisfied, I'm sharing the chili recipe. It's cold. Go make some.


Ingredients:
two lbs. ground beef or turkey (I'll use three or four next time... my kids are carnivores)
three cans kidney beans (My family sadly asked me to use no beans next time. What is chili without beans? Maybe I'll still use a can)
one onion, one bell pepper and four stalks of celery (I used three cups of the frozen chopped mixture that comes in a bag)
one can of sliced mushrooms (I used fresh and sauteed them first)
one habenero pepper
two heaping tablespoons chili powder and garlic (I use the garlic in a jar)
salt and pepper to taste
four cans tomato sauce
And a can of beer. Don't forget the beer.
(If my children were not eating this, I would've sauteed a couple of fresh jalepenos and added them too)


Directions:
brown and drain meat
saute mushrooms and habenero pepper and chopped onions, bell pepper and celery
In a large pan heat to boiling the tomato sauce, beans, seasoning and beer.
Add vegetables and meat.
Continue to cook on low heat for one hour.
If chili becomes too thick, add water.


Pour over Fritos and garnish with cheddar cheese and sour cream. Yum!


7 comments:

Melanie said...

The chili sounds great, your weather taking a downhill spiral - not so great.
I wonder if your kids would like pinto beans in the chili better than kidney beans (I do!).

Denise said...

Thanks for sharig sis, yummy in my tummy.

Trudy said...

Oh wow...so glad you shared the recipe Lisa, I will be trying this! We are definitely experiencing some 'chili weather' in these parts too!

God bless!
Trudy

Anita said...

That sounds much more tasty than the chili that I'm making this evening. Yes, what a coincidence that I should come to your blog today. :)

And I can so relate to the kids having to be at three different places. Sometimes I wonder if I can continue the pace, but then God kicks in and reminds me that child #1 will be driving in a year or so. Yeah!

Sandy Cooper said...

Wow...what a day. So jealous that you have nice enough weather for ball practice. But 30 degrees and chili can also be wonderful. Unless it lasts for 4 months.

Thanks for posting the chili recipe. My chili mainly consists of beans. Like you, I'm wondering what IS chili without beans? It's more like hot dog sauce.

I miss you too. We should talk soon.

I heart you.
Sandy

Donna said...

Our youth is having a chili cook-off this Sunday and I will pass on your recipe.

As for the kids, I know exactly what you are talking about. I have two that are in school basketball right now and they go in two different directions four nights out of five. And we too have late nights. Plus I work a full-time job. Like Anita, I wonder if I can keep the pace, but then God kicks in and helps us. Being with my kids and supporting them is very precious to me.

Blessings to you today!

Kathy S. said...

I Love chili! I laughed OUT LOUD at the book lights wrapped around their necks! I love Kids ingenuity!!