home about speaking she cares resources contact

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Risky Faith

I'm Backpacking Through Joshua this week with Amber and campers.


“How do you spell faith? R-I-S-K.”—Steve Meeks, Pastor Calvary Community Church, Houston, Texas


Imagine the scene. Two Israelite men saunter into town. They nonchalantly avoid eye contact while acting as un-spy-like as foreigners can.


Doors slam, curtains draw and businesses close. The God men are sneaking around prying into this particular town’s business.


Fear, hopelessness and panic settle as people vaporize from the streets. The rumors must be true. Calamity awaits cities that worship other gods. The townspeople afraid of certain destruction hide behind locked doors.


God’s men sneak questioning glances at one another. How will they find Joshua’s information if no one will talk to them? God, where do we go, what do we do? They pray.


Suddenly one man steals a sly peek at the other. “We could get information there,” he whispers. His partner gawks at the prostitute’s house.


It is open. Welcoming almost.


God, surely not, they keep praying. Their minds buzzing they walk toward the only open door.


Rahab is bold and risky. She has nothing to lose. Scorned by women and used by men, she reasons maybe she could get these God men to owe her a favor, if you know what I mean. She does the only thing she knows to do. She leaves her door open.  Although her hopeless life hangs in the balance, she’s curious about this one God who can save her soul from impending death.


There the men sit down with Rahab and their suspicions are confirmed. The town is paralyzed with fear of God’s people. Rahab does more than talk of the people’s fear. She continues to risk her life by lying to the king of Jericho, hiding the spies and helping them escape.


All she hopes for in return is her life.


But God.


God not only spares the lives of her entire family but He abundantly blesses Rahab with not only a spot in the Hebrews 11 Hall of Faith (Hebrews 11:31) but Rahab is one of the only five women mentioned in the lineage of Christ. (Matthew 1)


From risky faith salvation for a hopeless world is born.


The door is open. Will you cross the threshold?


“Look! I have been standing at the door and I am constantly knocking. If anyone hears me calling him and opens the door, I will come in and fellowship with him and he with me. I will let every one who conquers sit beside me on my throne…” Revelation 3:20 TLB



7 comments:

Leah @ Point Ministries said...

What an awesome post!! I think you have a fiction-writing career in your future. Love it!!Love Joshua and love Rahab! In fact, I love Rahab so much that I highlighted her for two days in my Legacy Bible study. What a legacy she left!!

Leah

kiddo1024 said...

A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!

Cindy Bultema said...

Amen, Lisa, Amen! But God!
What a powerful Word!
Sweet blessings to you, sister!
Cindy :)

snoodlings.com said...

This sucked me right in, Lisa. You're an amazing storyteller.

Love,

Your Green Backpacking Sister.

jenstersmusings.com said...

Beautiful!

Gretchen said...

Wow...what a fabulous story teller you are. I know. I echo the others...but it's TRUE. You and HisGirl with the word pictures. Awesome.

It would be nice if I'd always remember that, like Rahab, I have nothing to lose. Except my sinful, broken self. Who better to be lost in than Jesus?

Aliene said...

I, too, love the story of Joshua and Rahab. Especially how she comes down through the lineage. Blessings.