home about speaking she cares resources contact

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

It's Cancer Day

One year ago today I waited with phone in hand all.day.long. I wished to hear my nurse’s voice telling me everything was fine, because the nurse always gets to phone with the good news.

Instead somewhere around dinnertime, my doctor called. “I’m sorry,” he said, “It’s cancer.” He proceeded to explain it was rare, aggressive and answers eluded him.

That was the first day of a month that felt more like a year and a year that has felt more like a lifetime. And here, safely on the shore of the other side, I can’t believe it’s only been a year.

But it has. It’s been a year of the greatest of joys and the deepest of heartaches. It’s been a year of struggle and victory. I’ve experienced a gamut of emotions and seen God’s healing, redemption and miracles up close and personal. Last year I only hoped I’d experience Him in this way this side of heaven.

Isn’t it so gracious of God to give me an appointment with my oncologist on today? January 25. It’s Cancer Day. I find myself believing He is taking another shot at His endless redemption in my life.

I’m hopeful It’s Cancer Day will turn into It’s NOT Cancer Day today.

The Lord says, “I will give you back what you lost
      to the [cancer] swarming locusts…
you will praise the Lord your God,
   who does these miracles for you.”
From Joel 2:25-26 NLT


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog has been very encouraging for me al this year as my friend Lisa had cancer also.
We don´t need to pray for my friend anymore as she went to live with the Lord last week. http://www.tentmakersbiblemission.org/news.php?id=328&module=articles

I will keep praying for you and I´m happy to read how well you are doing.
In Christ
Ketty

Melanie said...

Waiting to hear...
Love you.

Andrea said...

Praying you will get the "ALL CLEAR." Know I am storming the heavens on your behalf. Actually, I have not stopped....

Hugs,
andrea

Mining for Diamonds said...

Wow...what a difference a year makes! I read your post from last year and what stood out to me was the concept of the enemy attacking us in the areas of our greatest blessing/ministry/victory. I believe that! Thanks be to God who always causes us to triumph! He has definitely given you a story to tell and the enemy cannot stop it!

Sonja said...

praying and waiting...

Emily said...

"I’m hopeful It’s Cancer Day will turn into It’s NOT Cancer Day today."
AMEN! Praying with you today...

Kathy@ Gone North said...

It has been such a blessing to me, to watch you this past year.
Without cancer... (yours & my hubby's) I may have never met you.... Thanking God for your good health & the fact the He turned that ugly thing into something beautiful.

Trudy said...

Praying for a great appointment today Lisa!

kitty said...

am joyous @ your good news. Will be thinking of and praying for you.....

MartySQ said...

I make 5 years on June 6 the day they removed my "girls". Praying all is well and stays that way for you and your families peace of mind!

MartySQ said...

I make 5 years on June 6. I hope you will be free of mind and in body from the worry and concern! God bless...