home about speaking she cares resources contact

Monday, January 31, 2011

Dry Feet




I'm Backpacking Through Joshua with Amber and friends.

Growing up in Bible church, I learned that the Ark of the Covenant symbolizes God’s presence.  

"In the most holy place, the ark of the covenant is the symbol and vehicle of the presence of the revelation of Jehovah among his people. ..."
Theology of the Old Testament, Gustav Friedrich Oehler, George Edward Day (1883)

When reading the Old Testament we can interchange the two terms and reach some form of understanding. My elementary-mind still approaches God’s Word this way and utilizes the many tricks tools from 4th grade Sunday school.

When I sat down to cross the Jordan with Joshua and his buddies, this is what I read:
“When you see the [presence of God]…you are to…follow it. Then you will know which way to go, since you have never been this way before.”
Joshua 3:3b & 4a

That’s exactly where I feel like God is taking me right now. On a journey to a place I’ve never been before. That’s the best way I can describe it. Sometimes I get anxious because I’m not sure how to pack for an unknown place. I’m not even sure where to start. Walking, not packing.

This week God reminded me I do know which direction to go.

In college I had another great Bible teacher. He taught me to live by the John 5:19 creed:
What the Father does, the Son does. The Father loves the Son and includes him in everything he is doing.  John 5:19b The Message

God’s presence leads me to God’s activity. In short, I go where God is. And then I join Him in what He’s doing.

How do I see the presence of God?

I sense His leading. Sometimes I just know I am supposed to do something. Like on Wednesday when I called my mom. I don’t usually call her at 3:30 in the afternoon. Afternoons are a busy time for both of us. I contemplated calling. I prayed quickly and decided to dial and talk for only a second. I reasoned I would want my daughter to call for a second. I dialed. She was in the ER with my brother. He was very sick. He was being admitted to ICU. God wanted me praying. He orchestrated my call.

What about days when His leading isn’t clear?

It isn’t always so simple. Lots of days I just do stuff, mostly because I have to. Every once in a while I actually pause to ask God to order my steps. Then I remember that if I can see God moving, I can just follow. Then I’ll be right where He is.

I agree some days it’s harder than others to recognize His presence. But with practice, we can all become better at following His lead. Just like the Israelites, we better be ready when we see His presence moving. If I close my eyes, I can hear Joshua, “Purify yourselves, for tomorrow the Lord will do great wonders among you.” (Joshua 3:5 NLT)


And there they stood; those priests carrying the Chest of the Covenant stood firmly planted on dry ground in the middle of the Jordan while all Israel crossed on dry ground. Finally the whole nation was across the Jordan, and not one wet foot.
Joshua 3:17 The Message


I'd say crossing a flooded river with dry feet was a pretty great wonder. I can't wait to see what He's got for us!

Jesus gave them this answer: “Very truly I tell you, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does. For the Father loves the Son and shows him all he does. Yes, and he will show him even greater works than these, so that you will be amazed.
John 5:19-20


**Announcements because I haven't spent enough time on my blog lately**
If you haven't entered my one-year-No-Cancer celebratory giveaway, you have one more chance. I'll announce a winner tomorrow.

My She Speaks friend Mary is on the free Made to Crave webcast tonight at 8 EST. She is a hoot and you won't want to miss her!


Another She Speaks sister, Sharon, will be on the docudrama Heavy tonight on A&E at 10/9 central. 


11 comments:

His Girl said...

*sigh* I love your approach to the scriptures... totally speaks to the way my heart learns. Phenomenal post. So glad you're still on the hike- glad you pressed through- and continue to pray for your family.

Sara G said...

And a wonderful God we have! Direction can be so hard to just know which way to go. He is still working on me. Thank you for the post. I thank Him for leading me to your blog. His wonders are so amazing!

Jan said...

Hi Lisa ... I haven't been by in a while; but I can't tell you how happy that I am that you are celebrating your "one year cancer free anniversary!!!" Praise the Lord my dear :) I am thrilled for you!!!

B His Girl said...

I think we all have 'just doing stuff' days Lisa. I believe God is in our stuff as much as the days when we sense His direction. I love the fact the Lord promised He was going to do amazing things among them. I want to walk by faith every step wherever He leads. God is with you Lisa. Keep those feet moving. love B

Gretchen said...

Lurve, lurve, lurve! I need to ask for His leading. Ask Him how to follow, and then just.do.it.

Thank you for teaching this late bloomer. Your fourth grade mind speaks VERY well to me. :)

RosieRed said...

I love what you said about going where God is and then joining in what he is doing...wow that's a "mini revelation" to me! So often I allow myself to get tossed around wondering where God wants me/what should I do/who should I focus on... Someone at church said the same thing recently so it has confirmed that message to me...I need to be looking for where God is already working, then joining in! woo hoo :o)

Trudy said...

Love this post Lisa! I have found it is easier to follow God's lead lately as I stay in constant 'contact' with Him through prayer throughout my day. It sure does make for a more peaceful day, that's for sure!

God's blessings to you!
Trudy

jenstersmusings.com said...

I was going to start with *sigh* but then I saw His Girl did that very thing and I didn't want to be a copycat. :)

This post was so very simple, so well written, so easy to grasp. I think you might have been speaking just to me!

Denise said...

Your words always comfort sis, love you.

Jen said...

love this, Lisa. Love the simplicity of just looking for where God is working and join Him there.
Your words always speak to me. <3

Sandy Cooper said...

I want to join God in His work instead of constantly insisting He join me in mine.

Awesome.

As always.

Love you.