home about speaking she cares resources contact

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Gift: A Mother's Legacy


Oh my sweet boy...




Upon hearing of Andrew’s death I was speechless and numb. As I began to weep, I started to pray.
“Lord, you know I love you. You know I trust you. You know I believe you are good. But, Lord, you know I have to ask ‘Why?’”
“Why now? At Christmastime?”
“I hate that I am preparing to go buy my children Christmas presents and Melanie is preparing to bury her son.”
“Why?”
And quietly, in my questioning, He spoke.
Lisa, why are you buying your children gifts?
“Because I love them, Lord and I want to shower them with affection. I want them to celebrate an outward expression of my love.”
And what will you do with the gifts that you buy?
“I’ll wrap them and place them under the tree for my children on Christmas Day, Lord.”
What will your children do with the gifts?
“Why they’ll take delight in them and enjoy them and use them.”
Even quieter…
What will Melanie do with Andrew?
Me, softly, “She’ll place him in a box and present him to you, Lord.”
And I will take great delight in him and enjoy him and use him.
You may not see it yet, but Melanie is blessed among women. She has the opportunity to give me a very precious, rare and costly gift that most can never give. She knows I will use his story.



This is the tribute I wrote entitled "The Gift" upon hearing that my sweet friend Melanie's son, Andrew passed away last year. Andrew fought brain cancer  with courage bravery and dignity.


I read these words every day for awhile as I prayed for Melanie and her family. These words and the feelings they invoke caused me to thank God for my own children and hug them a little closer each day.


I read it the very day I was diagnosed with cancer myself and I read it many times as I was going through the endless tests associated with a cancer diagnosis and I wondered how Melanie did it with her child.


Although it's been awhile since I last read these words, I've been praying extra hard for Melanie this week. As I read the words again this morning, I felt all the emotions of this season last year. I felt the questions again, the grief, the hurt for my friend.


This Christmas, Melanie prepares to give the same gift she gave to Jesus last year, her son--the same gift she's given each day, each hour since last year and the same gift she will be giving each Christmas until she too enters heaven's gates. 


Today marks the one-year anniversary of Andrew's death. Would you please take a minute to go leave a word of encouragement and support for Melanie?



No one has ever seen God,
      not so much as a glimpse.
   This one-of-a-kind God-Expression,
      who exists at the very heart of the Father,
      has made him plain as day. John 1:18 The Msg

10 comments:

Shanda said...

Thank you for posting this today. My heart is with Melanie and her sweet family today.

Renee Swope said...

Oh Lisa, you are such a good friend. I'm so thankful for who God created you to be. Do you know how beautiful you are - inside and out? He wants you to know today. I feel it deep in my Spirit. He wants you to know.

Mine and Melanie's Andrew look so much alike and are the same age so it marked me deep when Jesus took him home. I can't believe it was a year ago. I'm heading over to see her and send her a hug through words. Sending you one too!!

B His Girl said...

Thanks for sharing about Andrew today Lisa. Melanie and her family are very much in my prayers. Andrew's life continues to speak to us. hugs , B

Sandy Cooper said...

Crying...thank you.

Debbie said...

Melanie was on my heart this morning as I woke...How my heart still hurts for her. This was such an amazing conversation you had with the Lord about all of this. Thank you so much for sharing it. It has soo blessed me.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I love what you wrote. That is so beautiful. When I was in bible study years ago I told the group that I pray everyday for God to take me first but then I said "Am I wrong in that prayer, if Heaven is so awesome why wouldn't I want my children to go there?" Keeping Melanie in my prayers.

Bernie said...

I cried when I read this last year and I cried again today, they are the most beautiful words I have read, such a beautiful tribute.
....:-)Hugs

Shelly @ Life on the Wild Side said...

What beautiful words, Lisa. And how wonderful to think that we serve a God who has also given His only son for us. He knows what Melanie is going through, and He cares so deeply about that. I am thinking about her today.

Beth@Not a Bow in Sight said...

Lisa, that is just beautiful. You are too :)
Love,
Beth

GlowinGirl said...

This hurts to read. It hurts for your friend, and it's a fresh reminder of what has been on my mind this week, for it marks the two-year anniversary of the death of a good friend of mine at the age of 22. Now her parents, who are as family to us, continue to offer their gift as well.

We miss her so . . . and are so grateful for that place that we can only somewhat imagine where we will be renuited.

Soli Deo Gloria.