home about speaking she cares resources contact

Monday, November 15, 2010

The Thing About Silence

I'm baaaa-aaack. I think.

The thing about silence is that it makes words form inside your head. I like that feeling. Lots.

I remember a few years ago when our pastor preached a series on disciplines of the christian life. He spent a long time on silence. Living a life devoid of solitude leaves little room for God because it's in the spaces He speaks. I decided that Sunday morning I would intentionally sow solitude into my life lengthening the spaces between and inviting God to speak. The silences are good because I am reminded of the sound of God's voice, the treasure of being called and I can once again see the bridges over the canyons in my life.

This particular period has been lengthy here in bloggyland but the good news is I have things rattling around to share with you and I am yearning to feel the keys beneath my fingertips once again. Thanks for your understanding.

I have pictures, pictures, pictures to share because our family has been so busy. Our Halloween was filled with friends and freedom and we just had an early Thanksgiving gathering this weekend.

I celebrated another "first" wearing the hat of cancer survivor. My sweet husband just gave me an early birthday present with you in mind.

And I can't wait to share all of it here.

Today's big announcement is the "What's in the Bible" DVD winner. And the winner is...
Random.org chose Result:
26as our winner. Congratulations Big Fat Mama!!! I'll be in touch via email to send you your gift certificate for your own copy.


I'll go ahead of you,
   clearing and paving the road...
I'll lead you to buried treasures,
   secret caches of valuables—
Confirmations that it is, in fact, I, God,
   the God of Israel, who calls you by your name.
Isaiah 45-2a-3 The Message

9 comments:

Lisa Buffaloe said...

Glad you are baaaack! Can't wait to read what God shared during your time away.

Hugs and bunches of blessings,
Lisa

Big Fat Mama said...

I'm so glad you're back!! I love reading what you write because you are SO easy to relate to!!

Wow, I won the DVD?? :) Please donate the DVD to your local children's shelter, church, or preschool. Thanks!!

Big Fat Mama

Trudy said...

Looking forward to all you have to share with us Lisa! So glad to hear that God has been speaking to you. I need to remember to be still, especially now!

God's blessings to you!
Trudy

Andrea said...

Blessings and prayers,
andrea

Sonja said...

good Lisa! There are times when being quiet and doing the main things are the BEST way to do it! The keys will fly again, but the quiet times are also precious.

Alleluiabelle said...

The quite times with Him are the absolute best. I love you my friend and I look forward to seeing your pictures and hearing your heart here. You continue to encourage and inspire me. God is soooo faithful and good.

Peace & Prayers,
Alleluiabelle

TRUTH SHARER said...

This past spring I read an amazing little book called:

Out of Solitude by Henri Nouwen.

It explains why silence is a necessity in our lives with God - and what God does through it! Really gave me perspective and insight. He points often to Jesus getting away in silence before His Father in heaven to pray.

Silence in prayer is when we listen to God speak rather than petition Him with all we ask.

Blessings, Stephanie

LisaShaw said...

Hi Lisa,

Thankful for your time with the LORD and His ministering to your heart in your quiet moments with Him. I am always encouraged in those times of silence and solitude with the LORD.

Praying for you and your family with love and glad that you are doing well.

Thanksgiving blessings Sis!

Sandy Cooper said...

I'm glad you are back too. Praying for you, dear friend!!

Sandy