home about speaking she cares resources contact

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A Holy Place

A Familiar Scenario

I sit at my kitchen table. Dora the Explorer sings in the background. My mind races aware of the clock ticking away the seconds of my day, counting the minutes until my preschooler needs me.

Frustration hovers as my derailed morning struggles to settle back on its tracks. I silence my mental ticking, ignore Dora and wait on the Spirit of God to settle over me, over my morning. I wait for His holy to settle on my ordinary.

As He comes near, I take in the elements of communion. I taste the bread, sip the wine, thank the Lord. I commit this day to Him, the parts filled with Dora, the parts filled with peanut butter and jelly messes and oatmeal kisses. I lift the parts where I wonder if what I’m doing really matters and the parts where I see glimpses of a larger picture. Suddenly my average day becomes an opportunity for more. Sitting in my little kitchen my heart welcomes big possibility.

I start the morning by taking communion because a friend of mine shared her experience with me shortly after my surgery. The communion experience is a beautiful picture of the intimacy of what Christ did on the cross. I love how it feels to take the ceremony out of it and personalize it at my kitchen table, or in my study or on my porch wherever I happen to be waiting on God that day.

Taking the elements signifying Jesus’ body into my own invites Him to a close place with me each day.  It invites His holiness to invade my ordinariness. Read what I wrote about it last year here.

Take a moment with me today and invite Jesus to an intimate place in your own life wherever you are. Invite the holy to invade the ordinary and welcome the possibilities.

But now, this is what the LORD says— he who created you: … “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine… I will give you hidden treasures,
   riches stored in secret places,
so that you may know that I am the LORD,
   the God of Israel, who summons you by name.”
Isaiah 43:1 and 45:3






2 comments:

Big Fat Mama said...

I've been reflecting on resting in Christ today. I am in constant need of Him.

I loved your post and the way you write!

Tami and Bobby Sisemore Family said...

That was an amazing post. THANK you for sharing that! As we walk through this time in our lives and WAIT on the LORD for our miracle for our son I NEED to feel closer and closer to GOD so as to not feel alone in the world. I so want to try this. Do you do it every morning? this is awesome.

God bless you,
Tami
PRAYING 4 A MIRACLE 4 JEREMIAH
www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com
Tamijoysisemore@aol.com
Tamijoy sisemore (on fb)