home about speaking she cares resources contact

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Equipment Shopping


It was something that needed to be done. A celebration of its own sort, an excursion of its own category, an undercover event of epic (or not so epic proportion) some might say.

Last week I went post-cancer-removing-surgery-breast equipment shopping. The last time I enjoyed this type of shopping, I was a perky twenty-something eager for marriage and spending vast amounts of gift cards at that secret fancy pajama shop in the mall. 

Then I got married, got pregnant, had babies, nursed babies, gained weight, lost weight and somewhere in the middle of babies and weight gain I learned that driving down a grocery aisle and throwing lingerie in the cart faster than a toddler can throw it right back out is an art form. I’m serious, y’all, because if a toddler throws it right back out but you’re already talking to a salesman in electronics about where the batteries for the camcorder are located, you’ve been seriously embarrassed!

I’m not too picky about such garments because there’s not that big of a job to do. You know what I mean? It’s okay guys, even the first surgeon I met with kindly let me know there wasn’t much there… but he could fix that. But since I opted to not get rid of what little I had, I have had this day in the back of mind for many months. But just because you know something’s coming and just because you’re thankful it is coming and you’re going to the local JC Penney and not to the hospital’s “Appearances” department, doesn’t mean you look forward to it or are excited about it. Because I wasn’t, excited that is. I was and still am thankful, very.

Anyway, the post-surgery me has worn a sports bra every day. Actually, the post-cancer diagnosis me has worn a sports bra every day. As a matter of fact, it wasn't until my radiation oncologist forced me to remove the sports bra for a few hours each day that I even felt like taking it off. Ever. 

The cute sports bra has become a staple in my wardrobe. I now own one in every color. And I’m all about color coordinating and comfort, however, a few weeks ago I got in the mood to go just one day without the uni-boob. Just one day. Just one outfit. Just once this year I wanted to be a little more proud that I still had my girls, if you know what I mean. But I got a bit nervous when I drove my cart straight down that aisle at the neighborhood Walmart and couldn’t find me a piece of comfortable looking equipment. The surgical scar is in a really tender spot, okay,

Then and there I decided this type shopping would have to be scheduled into my calendar and worked around a schedule full of others. So last week, I had me a day. I drove to the fancy local JCPenney where they have these plush and purple-y ladies only dressing rooms. And lo and behold they were having a Veterans’ Day sale. I saw bright lights and heard loud music as I slyly grabbed a few items off the rack and ducked into the fancy little room.

I left a doubly happy and doubly blessed lady because comfort and practicality at a price that can’t be beat makes a girl all happy. So as I stood in a long line and handed said items to a man behind the counter (who has never seen this blog), I secretly celebrated this personal event that every one of your prayers made possible.



To you, O God, belong the greatness and the might,
      the glory, the victory, the majesty, the splendor;
   Yes! Everything in heaven, everything on earth;
      the kingdom all yours! You've raised yourself high over all.
   Riches and glory come from you,
      you're ruler over all;
   You hold strength and power in the palm of your hand
      to build up and strengthen all.
   And here we are, O God, our God, giving thanks to you,
      praising your splendid Name.
1 Chronicles 29:11-13 The Message


9 comments:

daylily (Queenmothermamaw) said...

Way to go girl. I am still walking with you, just don't hear from me much right now since I am having my own failing body to care for. Just joints and muscles, etc. The price to pay for all the horse riding, waterskiing, roller skating and falling downs I have done. Blessings
QMM

Melanie said...

In the past I used to head to Dillard's to see Olga in lingerie. It is so much better to be "fitted."
But there's a new "sheriff" in town and it's the Soma store in the mall. Their sales are fabulous and I always find the service to be great. I got fitted there and now I can order online because you are only dealing with one brand, the Soma brand, and the sizing is consistent from style to style.
You have to try this. I'm sharing a "Girlfriend Secret" with you!

Melanie said...

~ Just to clarify, I also purchased the lingerie in the mall store not just online.

Cindy Bultema said...

Celebrating with you at yet another GREAT milestone, Lisa :) THANK YOU for allowing us to journey with you through this season. I admire your courage, determination, and faith!
You are loved, my friend!
Cindy :)

Trudy said...

A definite cause for celebration Lisa. Praise God for the little celebrations in life!

Beautiful Scripture also.

Have a blessed day!
Trudy

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I'm struggling in this area, as I have nothing left to put into something pretty. Trying on clothes has become a nightmare, and until I'm fitted for two protheses (sp?), I'll just have to wait. I'm so glad for your victory at the mall! This post made me laugh a few times, and I was with you in your shopping.

Someday our scars will be gone and our bodies made whole. I long for that day, but until then, I'm making peace with my scars.

Blessings, sister~elaine

Sandy Cooper said...

You are so cute. After reading this, I am more convinced than ever we are sisters. hee hee.

slds56 said...

Lysa,
I was visiting at Renee's blog today and has I was reading and scrolling down the side bar I was drawn to your picture. The Lord spoke to me to pray for you. When I posted a comment you had posted right above me. I have read on your blog before and know a little about your journey. You seem to bring a lot of positive energy to your blog during a difficult time in your life. Pray for you.

Anonymous said...

Men and women body builders are really looking for the perfect place to talk. Numerous have never believed being online with others who hold large knowledge about which workout vitamins and supplements to take in order to explode with results. This is because weightlifting is a sport, and with any sport you go where the fanatics are to discover about it! To read more about Female Bodybuilding Forum

To drive the point a level more, you might be able to go and discover from a individual trainer about proper techniques but their background will be only be so vast and abundant. In order to find out you must go where others duscuss in a group to discover about one thing. This is because a lone bad heave or supplement can wipeout everything you possess, worked so long for already. Even more so, there are few groups
and places you can go in order to converse about steroids and added drugs used in lifting.

But yet if lifting weights and increasing muscle isnt what you are digging for, many Weight Loss Programs are around solely for people to learn how to get rid of those unnecessary 5 pounds, and with the civilization of today it seems everyone is going to be larger and fatter. So no concern who you are in the end, keeping a good diet and the right exercises can make all the difference!