home about speaking she cares resources contact

Monday, November 22, 2010

Daily Bread

“Give us today our daily bread.” Matthew 6:11

This verse is a treasured prayer in our home. Commissions pay our bills, buy our food and pad our bank account. Without them, we starve. We need Jesus to meet our needs.

My husband knows that the ability to sell is a gift. My husband knows clients ultimately come from God’s favor. My husband prays this prayer every day.

I’ve started to follow his example but even as I pray the prayer we’ve prayed daily for years, it is changing. I need so much more than physical sustenance to make it through each day. Part of my communion experience is to commit every part of my day to Him and to recognize my predisposition to fail without His strength. I need patience, kindness, tenderness, gentleness and energy to make each day successful.

One of the largest frustrations I have as a mother is the constant re-doing of what’s already been done. Mopping the same floors, wiping the same counters, washing the same clothes, cleaning the same bathrooms not only day after day but some days hour after hour. It’s like I’m the grown-up version of my kids’ argument against making their beds: I’m just getting back in it tonight.

When my bloggy friend, Emily, left this comment a few weeks ago. It reminded me that I have a daily need, a daily responsibility, a daily supplication for the Lord. She said, “I have written in my notebook next to my to-do list this verse:
John 17:19 NLT
"And I give myself entirely to you so they also might be entirely yours." (Jesus praying about His disciples. Obviously, I'm praying about my kiddos!)”

Isn’t that beautiful? As moms we get to be the servant Jesus was to His disciples. We get the honor of committing them to the Lord and we do that by committing ourselves to the Lord. Every. Single. Day.

This is why I started making my personal communion a priority instead of a sometimes-when-I-think-about-it experience. I need daily bread, The Bread of Life, sustenance of heart and soul to lead my children courageously and to serve my children humbly.

"For the bread of God is the bread that comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.” John 16:33


4 comments:

Stacy said...

Beautiful post. Oh how we need the bread of life that comes from God alone. His Word, His Truth, His body broken for us....Jesus Christ. In Him we find all we need. Love the reminder from Emily, as well. Thanks for sharing that.

Anita said...

Oh, I think I'm convicted here. LOL But your words of wisdom and guidance from the Lord are good for me to hear.

Emily said...

This is an excellent post Lisa and I also enjoyed your vlog on personal communion. Thank you for very good reminders. Thank you also for your kind words. Praying that verse has been transforming my heart over 2010. I'm so glad the Lord was able to use it to speak to you as well. =)

Big Fat Mama said...

I am so grateful I read your post today. I am writing that scipture down!! Thanks! :)