home about speaking she cares resources contact

Tuesday, October 05, 2010

When Meltdowns Meet Messages


As my son lie on the ground, in the middle of the parking lot, screaming about how he doesn’t like school (he loves school) and he’s not going (he counts the hours until school), I silently took a deep breath. I started counting as I exhaled so I wouldn’t lose it.  Crazy Mom Snaps at Preschool isn’t the headline I’m for which I’m aiming.

I calmly walk over to him, pick up his flailing body, sling him over my shoulders like a sack of potatoes and deposit him in his classroom. Once there I gently close the door behind me trying not to smash his little foot wedging the door open. I smile over my shoulder and sing, “Have a nice day.”

My meeting has already started and I know I will be arriving about half an hour late. ***sigh*** In light of the giant preschool meltdown, I wonder to myself why I even agreed to lead the small group. I know for me to arrive on time my morning will have to run like a well-oiled machine. My squeaky life always needs a good shot of WD 40!

As I climb back into my car, a thought hits me. Maybe my son’s sudden disdain toward an activity he loves is an onslaught of spiritual attack. I’m not one to see demons all around but this is just unexplainable. Then I remember a few nights earlier. A horribly embarrassing situation on a conference call where I thought I was on mute. For many minutes ***sigh*** thoroughly humiliating me and reinforcing the fact that I am in no position to “take on ministry” with my already full-of-mothering schedule.

Do you ever feel this way?

The Message says this, “Keep a cool head. Stay alert. The Devil is poised to pounce, and would like nothing better than to catch you napping.” (1 Peter 5:8)

Ephesians 6 tells us to stand strong against the devil’s schemes. Some would argue that a screaming 4-year-old is a normal occurrence and not a spiritual attack. Others would say a loud distraction on a conference call is only an annoying oversight. I would say that any attempt to squelch a woman’s desire to share her life with other women is an attack. Sharing life is exactly how to live victoriously over the evil one.

“They overcame him
      by the blood of the Lamb
      and by the word of their testimony” Revelation 12:11 NIV (emphasis added)

I will post pictures as soon as I locate a camera chord. ***smiles***


9 comments:

Deborah said...

Hi Lisa, my daughter at 4 years old, cried everyday in pre-school. I mean everyday! I would drop her off and she would cry at the top of of her lungs until April. At first, I cried too, then the teachers and I expected it. She would normally stop about 10 minutes after I left and then she was fine! So hopefully, he just misses him Mom and he'll be fine. I think it's kindof sweet that they would rather stay at home than go off to school. I think that he is just a good little boy that loves his mother!
Have a great day!!
xxoo
Deborah

Denise said...

Praying for you sis.

His Girl said...

I am a MAJILLION posts behind on your blog! *sigh* Actually, 17 counting the one I just read!

But I had to just swing by for a little minute today and just get a taste.

So glad I did, cause your 'voice' is as strong and clear and encouraging as ever. Thanks for the boost that I needed this morning.
xo

Debbie said...

Oh have I been there and done that. Both with my kids and my grandkids. It was MUCH harder with my grandson. He DID NOT want to go. I left crying right along with him. He's in frist grade now and such a happy boy though. And the conference call thing? Had that happen too, sigh....And personally I think your right. I do believe our enemy comes at us ANY way he can. And what better way that with our kids? Or with thoughts of "Who are you to try to teach anyone anything?" I love that you walked right out that door and KNEW just what was happening. I just know you can have a wonderful ministry for Him and I don't even know you really, except through this blog of course. But just keep pressing on like you are. Our enemy doesn't stand a chance. Have a wonderful day. HUGS and blessings, Debbie

Nana's Nuggets said...

Hi! Lisa, oh1 what a memory! Loved this post today! and the encouragement is what I needed. that scriptue was awesome(from the message). girl; you can carry on! Thank you Lord for your strength!

MommaMindy said...

I have noticed in our family when one of us needs prayer, the others will have a catastrophe of some kind, big or small, that will take our mind off prayer. This is why the Lord reminds us over and over to be wary, to have on the armor of God.

Another thing to consider, my youngest daughter was very frightened through my first battle with cancer, but couldn't voice her mind, they really don't know how at such a young age. She developed separation anxiety. She developed a goodbye routine of kissing my lips and my cancer scar, mine is on my neck - you probably don't want to do this :)- for her to feel assured I was coming back.

I'll be praying the Lord will give you wisdom and discernment for your family!

Karen said...

Thank you soooo much!!! I enjoyed your wonderfully truthful story :-)

blessings,

Karen

daylily (Queenmothermamaw) said...

MommaMindy seems to have a good take on what might be going on. Do you keep the kids updated on your condition and give them a chance to ask questions? I am sure you do. You seem to have every thing under control, but things do come up. Blessings and I am still praying.
QMM

Lisa Elliott said...

HI Lisa

My name is Lisa Elliott I am from N.H.I saw this blog on my face-book page someone I know had another blog on there page just to let you know I will be praying for you so will my small group at church may God give you all the Glory during this time of your health HUGS to you and your family