home about speaking she cares resources contact

Thursday, October 21, 2010

What the Doctor Said

Here it is Thursday afternoon and I still haven’t given you any news here and for that I’m sorry. I truly am. The week has been a whirlwind that didn’t slow down to let me off for two days!

I endured the tests, iv’s, drinks and tubes. I endured the probing and prodding and even more radiation. I anxiously awaited my appointment with the doctor trying to cling to the promise a friend boldly sent me saying was the “perfect prayer.”

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. Ephesians 3:20-21

When I received her text I just started repeating the words, “Lord, more than we can ask or imagine.” I didn’t really think much of it honestly. I was just trying to not let my mind run wild with all the possibilities. The doctor had already said they were narrow possibilities but the reality is that having sarcoma at all is a narrow possibility.

Because that thought was the boundary of where I wanted my mind to go, I kept repeating the words, “Lord, more than we can ask or imagine.”

When the doctor came in he was all smiles and handshakes. He was totally what I expected last time and didn’t get. He was what I thought was impossible. He answered the very few questions I had. He informed me that one of his current areas of study is radiation-induced sarcomas and I was glad. He said he would like to start spreading my scans out a bit in order to reduce my radiation exposure. I liked the idea of that from the standpoint of reducing exposure and practically. This week was super hard.

Then the best news came. I asked him if I could ever be considered “cured.” He said it was a poor word but if it was a word he might dare to use at all, he would maybe one day possibly use it in my case. He reinforced the gravity of my situation by telling me he gets to tell one, maybe two patients per year they don’t have to have chemo and I was that statistic for him this year.

I left feeling very positive and yes, relieved. I felt every part the survivor.

Some of you have asked if I’ve been declared “cancer-free.” I’ve been declared “no evidence of active disease” and I’ve been declared “no evidence of reoccurrence.” I’ve received the best report I can at this point. The doctor was extremely pleased and he left me feeling at ease.

My next scans will be beginning to mid-January.

As I’ve said before even the best news at MD Anderson leaves you emotionally drained. I am drained! Like I summed it up on Facebook, “tired and good.”

Your comments blessed the mess out of me and your prayers continue to carry us as they did through the hardest of days and longest of nights. I count it all joy to serve a mighty and loving God with you.

God can do anything, you know—far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams! He does it not by pushing us around but by working within us, his Spirit deeply and gently within us.

   Glory to God in the church!
   Glory to God in the Messiah, in Jesus!
   Glory down all the generations!
   Glory through all millennia! Oh, yes!
Ephesians 3:20-21 The Msg


24 comments:

TRUTH SHARER said...

Still Praying for you and Praising God with you!

Choosing JOY, Stephanie

Kathy@ Gone North said...

Praise! Praise!
Such good news. We have done this similar dance, w/cancer. & Right now, we too are "no evidence of re-occurence" And though my husband has a slight worry about the next scan in Dec., I repeat, "The good thing, is that there is nothing that we can do in our power to change it, BUT God has that power"
He can do immeasurably more.
Happy for you!!

Sonja said...

YAY once again Lisa!!! I'm so thankful for you and with you. This is such a wonderful report!!

Melanie said...

Answered prayer is a beautiful thing.

Ketty said...

Happy to read the good news Lisa.

Now, please, pray for my friend also named Lisa. She is going trought her third quimo treatment, she has cancer in 3 parts of her body. I haven´t prayed so hard for a miracle in years but I know He can heal her. We´ve been waiting for 1 year now for a miracle.

Thanks for your updates, it helps me pray for you better.
ketty

Debbie said...

Oh Praise God! I am soo happy for you...Our God is sooo good. Smiling big over here. HUGS, Debbie

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Such a good report; I know that you are resting in the care of good physicians and the Best Physician of all. I am grateful for your not having to endure chemo. It's been a bit rough on me, but it's also been manageable and allowed me many moments of pause and thankfulness for the people it has brought into my life.

peace~elaine

Alleluiabelle said...

I am sooo happy to hear this good news my friend...I'm still here praying for you.

Love you,
Alleluiabelle

Sandy Cooper said...

I'm sorry...I am so behind on reading blogs that I didn't know you were having tests this week. I'm such a bad sister!!!!!!

I wish God could make my prayers retroactive. I would be praying like crazy for you right now.

I will rejoice with you over this very good report. And I pray that one day, the doctor will use the bad word of "cured."

I love you!!!
Sandy

Shanda said...

Rejoicing with you!!

daylily (Queenmothermamaw) said...

Praise the Lord and thanks to Him.
QMM

Cindy said...

Hallelujah!!!! Praise God for some much needed words of reassurance!

Continuing to pray and lift you up to our precious Jesus and Healing God!

Shelly @ Life on the Wild Side said...

Awesome! Just awesome. :)

His Girl said...

Hallelujah! Hallelujah!

Can't wait to see what he saved you to do!!!

xoxo

BARBIE said...

Rejoicing and praising God for this wonderful news1

Trudy said...

Hi Lisa! I am stopping by after seeing your comment on Marybeth's blog today. I just wanted you to know that I will be adding you to my prayer list also, although it does look like prayer has been helping you tremendously to this point. Praising God for the healing He has already done.

Hope you don't mind if I stick around to see how things are going for you.

God's blessings to you today!
Trudy

Gigi said...

Glory to God in the Highest!!!!!

Tiffany Stuart said...

Praise God for this update. I often think of you. And now it's time to thank HIM who is more than able for this great report. Love ya, tiffers

Christie said...

Praise God!!

And, I totally know what you mean about being drained! I had tests and appointments last week and I came home wondering how I ever did that every day while being sick!

Our God is Awesome!!

Bryan and Elise said...

Praise the Lord! I have been praying and am so glad you got a good report! You get to enjoy the holidays!!!

Nicky said...

Hi Lisa, so glad to hear those excellent news. Glory to God! Have a blessed week-end.

Denise said...

Praising God with you sis, love you.

Stacy said...

Praising God with you for "more than you could think or imagine!" That is God! "Call unto me and I will answer you and show you great and mighty things which you do not know!." Jeremiah 33:3. God is good and I pray He continues to knock your socks off and show Himself strong on your behalf. Keep standing strong in Him!

Walking this road with you arm in arm.

Much love in Christ,
Stacy

Renee Swope said...

Can you feel the earth shaking as I do the happy dance?? How about the hands clapping? Can you hear me applauding this amazing good news? Can you hear me singing to Jesus and thanking HIM for more than you can think of or imagine??

Sooooooooooo thankful and overjoyed!!

Praying for rest and recuperation!!

Also, did you notice my beautiful "Faith" cross hanging from an angels hands on my desk in my "De-cluttering" blog post??" I was wondering if you'd recognize it :-)> Thanks for the beautiful gift of my cross and your friendship!