home about speaking she cares resources contact

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Secret Stashes


I have this secret obsession. I watch this show.

The secret life of a hoarder amazes me. I cringe and gasp at the messiness and nastiness of their homes. It grosses me out to see rodents and evidence of them all around these diseased people. I don’t understand how they think the very trash and filth they live in is valuable. The astonishing thing is these unhealthy people dismiss their disease as simply “too much clutter.” Every.single.time.

These people become so attached to the possessions they are hoarding, they begin to think what the world sees as trash is useful. In many cases these people hoard secret stashes of trash itself keeping huge mountains of used paper plates, old newspaper and empty paper towel holders.  

Their eyes are blinded to the dust, cobwebs, feces and rodents that surround them. Their lives come to a grinding halt as trash fills bathrooms, kitchens and bedrooms. As they keep trash and accumulate bizarre amounts of stuff, even useful items become contaminated and destroyed. Homes become uninhabitable storage units and irreparable damage is done.

As my twisted curiosity keeps my eyes glued to the television, I see this truth very clearly.

“Don't hoard treasure down here where it gets eaten by moths and corroded by rust or—worse!—stolen by burglars.” (Matthew 6:19 The Msg)

A recurrent dream in my life is that I wake up from a good night’s sleep and everything in my house is gone. Vanished. Stolen right out from under my nose while I sleep. Weird. I think it’s a warning that storing earthly treasures leads to a warped sense of values.

While watching Hoarders it’s so easy to see how possessions can rot, strangle and choke. I think it’s how God must feel watching me live sometimes. He must cringe as in my fury and haste to find the right wig for the weekend’s costume party, I rush past a hurting stranger. He is probably grossed out by the mountains of soiled stuff in my soul, which leave little space for those I love. And it must sadden Him when I live in the filth that I’ve caused by keeping trash as my own treasure.

Lord, open my eyes to the treasures of heaven. Give me Your values. Grant me wisdom to know what really matters most. Amen

And Hoarders, thank you for the motivation to clean my house!

“Stockpile treasure in heaven, where it's safe from moth and rust and burglars. It's obvious, isn't it? The place where your treasure is, is the place you will most want to be, and end up being.” (Matthew 6:20-21 The Msg)


7 comments:

Sandy Cooper said...

I love/hate that show too. I don't get to see it much, but I have the exact same reaction as you. But I have double interest because I now realize one of my good friends is a hoarder. I used to think she was just sort of messy. And she always says she doesn't have time to clean. But now I realize it's way worse than that. So I watch always hoping she is watching too.

Great analogy to the hoarding of my heart. Though it's hard for me to go there...I'd rather just judge other people with cluttered homes than I would peek into the clutter of my heart.

Love ya!
Sandy

Trudy said...

Oh my...I'm not sure I could watch that show if I tried. I don't do rodents and filth very well at all, LOL!

I agree with Sandy though, great analogy and wonderful Scripture too. I think we all need to take a closer look at how we are doing in the 'treasure' department!

Blessings to you Lisa! So glad I found you here, YOU are a treasure!

In Him ~+~
Trudy

Amber Zimmerman said...

Hi Lisa! I found your button on someone elses blog while blog hopping and I'm so glad I did. It blesses me to see a Godly woman serving the Lord with such courage while you're in the valley. My mom is fighting her own battle with Ovarian cancer and I'm so happy to say that she is beating it because of people praying and just the grace of God! My mom is also an author (her name is Diann Hunt) and just finished a devotional where the proceeds will go to cancer awareness. Anyways. . .just wanted you to know that there is another person out there lifting you up to the Most High! God bless. . .

Kimberly said...

What's so sad about that show is that those people are truly suffering from a mental illness. It's more than just being "messy" or dirty, I truly believe it is the manifestation of much deeper mental health issues. They really don't know they are sick...and they truly are sick. My heart breaks for them. There but for the grace of God go I...

I do like your analogy of our hearts, though. Some people's hearts look a lot like those homes, and again it is the manifestation of a soul/sin sickness that only God can heal.

Cindy said...

I Love those shows (both Horaders and Hoarding: Buried Alive). I too don't really get it - but I find myself fasinated to find out what they see and how their minds work.
I pray that I am storing up treasures in heaven and not so much down here where it truly means Nothing!!
Have a blessed day and I'm continuing to pray for your prefect health to be fully revealed!!

Denise said...

I love the scriptures you shared sis.

Deborah said...

I watch this show and cringe. It makes me clean too!
Have a nice weekend.
xxoo
Deborah