home about speaking she cares resources contact

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Running


I’m studying the book of Jonah right now. One phrase keeps running through my head as I study. “He paid the price.”

“He paid the fare and went on board, joining those going to Tarshish—as far away from God as he could get.” Jonah 1:3 The Msg

Have you ever run from God? There is always a price to pay.

I find it interesting that some scholars believe Jonah actually chartered the whole boat and crew. Chartering a boat is expensive. Scholars speculate Jonah was not only trying to pick a destination as far away from Jerusalem, where the manifest presence of the Lord rested, as he could but also with a crew and boat that would get him away as soon as possible. Jonah wanted control and he paid the price.

Read that again. Jonah wanted control and he paid the price.

Ouch! This might, maybe a little bit sound like something I might maybe want in my own life too. Control.

I want to say where I’m going. I want to determine how fast I’ll get there.

And so I choose a destination, set goals along the way and fully expect a fruitful result from my efforts. But sometimes God has a different plan.

This is where my mind is today. Have you paid a high price to get what you want? My mind is flickering here and there wandering in and out of my own “ship chartering” experiences. Reading about Jonah makes me want to walk around my own life with a divine GPS system attached to my arm!

Oh wait! We already have one.

The wise counsel God gives when I'm awake
      is confirmed by my sleeping heart.
   Day and night I'll stick with God;
      I've got a good thing going and I'm not letting go.

 I'm happy from the inside out,
      and from the outside in, I'm firmly formed.
   You canceled my ticket to hell—
      that's not my destination!

  Now you've got my feet on the life path,
      all radiant from the shining of your face.
   Ever since you took my hand,
      I'm on the right way.
Psalm 16:7-11 The Msg


5 comments:

MommaMindy said...

Precious thoughts this morning, to think about the difference between being led by the Spirit or running from the Spirit. I love how Jonah was used when he finally surrendered. He also pouted after that, but inbetween disobedience and whining, the Lord still used that man. He still can use us. Thanks for the reminder!

Loren said...

This was meant for me today! I have been runnin as far and as fast and YES I the price I have paid is HIGH!
To have control is costly....very costly LIke Jonah did, it takes surrendering to reveal all your pride, anger, fear,etc has cost you but the hope of being reconciled brings peace to your weary mind!

Love and hugs Lisa!

Denise said...

Awesome sis, love you.

daylily (Queenmothermamaw) said...

Oh haven't we all run from God. I am getting too old to run, that is my body is but my soul can just run away whenever I get going the way I don't want to go. True God doesn't give up, He is still working on me. LOL that has been a long haul for Him.
QMM

Trudy said...

Oh yes...how often we choose to run away, often without even realizing. Control is a tricky thing and can be so subtle.

Thanks for this reminder to always check the settings on that GPS!

Blessings to you!
Trudy