home about speaking she cares resources contact

Friday, October 01, 2010

Falling Down


I’m admitting total defeat in certain areas of my life. I’m also boldly announcing that with a strategy involving others these same areas can become my largest victories.

You see, I stink at life without accountability. I need others to step on my toes when I get out of line.

I can skillfully master some things that other friends can’t. I don’t drink too much at social gatherings, I don’t have a problem keeping my house clean, I don’t even have a problem spending time in God’s Word regularly. But I do wish I would get up earlier in the morning, get my workout done first thing and make healthy eating choices. I wish I would organize my closet and pantry and I wish I would unpack the last three boxes from my move. I wish I would memorize more Scripture and I wish I would take the first steps publication.

I wish.

I meet a neighbor at 5:00 each morning to walk because when she mentioned she walked each morning, I asked if I could come. We walk a mile together and then I run a two or three more. I’m home by 6:00 and have my quiet time. My children are aroused on time each day and our morning rushing has ceased quite a bit.

But when she doesn’t walk, I don’t get up early. Without her I am a complete undisciplined mess in this area.

I need that accountability. I need her waiting for me in the early morning shadows to get out of bed.

The same thing goes with healthy eating. When I’m writing down what I eat for someone to see, I make good choices, I watch my portion sizes and I experience victory. When nobody else is paying any attention, I relax a little too much.

I have spent years beating myself up for my lack of discipline in certain areas. Today I’m admitting that I may never have enough discipline to be a lone ranger Christian. But I do have enough wisdom to ask others to help me where I’m weak. I do love my Jesus enough to humble myself and ask forgiveness when I fail. And I do love the benefits of having deep and meaningful relationships when I make myself vulnerable by sharing my faults with others.

What is your struggle and where do you need accountability? Who can you ask to help you?

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed. If one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But someone who falls alone is in real trouble. Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 NLT


6 comments:

Denise said...

I totally understand sis, accountability is a great thing.

Kimberly said...

"Lone Ranger Christian"...that's too cute. :) Of course, it's sadly quite true of me. There are several areas I could use some accountability in, areas I try to do on my own and end up getting nowhere!

Thanks for this reminder we cannot do life on our own!
(Hi-ho, Silver...away!) ;)
Love,
K

Gigi said...

But that's the beauty of our God's love for us...we are meant to lean on each other and hold each other up! It started in Genesis...Then the LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper who is just right for him." (Genesis 2:18)

We ALL need help in our life journey...God knows and loving Father that He is, He provides!!

In turn, YOU provide immeasurable support to others! (Have you thought about that today?!) xo

LisaShaw said...

Amen Lisa!

Love this: "Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed. If one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But someone who falls alone is in real trouble. Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 NLT"

Blessings to you!

Jess said...

Hi Lisa,
I'm in your critique group and I sure need some accountability!!!
Too rushed, too busy to even set goals for my writing, let alone dream of accomplishing them!
Help LORD.

So nice to meet you and I look forward to getting to know you better. Blessings and Hugs!

Melanie said...

It always seems that there are just so many things to do and to do well...