home about speaking she cares resources contact

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Sweating Small Stuff


Hearing the word cancer is never easy. Fighting an insurance company is never easy. Moving the family is never easy. Living after cancer is welcomed but hardly easy.

I wonder how I can stare cancer and all the past eight months brought into my life in the face, claim victory and keep perspective, yet; piles of unfolded laundry, piles of unfiled papers and piles of unread how-to-write-a-book-proposal books totally stress me.

It’s like the big things stole nothing but the little things are robbing me blind. Ever feel that way?

As I ponder this juxtaposition in my life, I think of my little dog Foxy. I tend to lose my little Pomeranian here in my new house. Searching inside, outside and even in the car only to find her tucked away in some little nook or crevice I didn’t know existed.

Frantic searching steals my peace because my pet hides easily and sleeps soundly. Take my old dog Wolf, he is too big to hide; he might be in the way but at least we could all see him. Fear may keep me from rousing his sleep but at l know his location and mood.

I’ve always seen Satan more like Wolf; the Bible calls him “a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.” (1 Peter 5:8 NIV)

Lately I’ve seen another side of the enemy and his cohorts. I see him more like Foxy hiding in crannies of my life I didn’t even know existed.

Song of Solomon says, “Catch for us the foxes,
       the little foxes
       that ruin the vineyards,
       our vineyards that are in bloom.” (2:15 NIV)

The enemy and his little “foxes” sneak in and ruin us. They take the love from our marriage, the life from our ministry and the laughter from our parenting. The little distractions and deceptions lurk in life's smallest and darkest of places. These are places we’ve never had to look before but places God is calling us to examine. The seemingly insignificant hollows in our life beckon to be filled. God calls us to fill all the places in our life with Him, even the small places.

Lately I am frustrated at how I sweat the small stuff. Today I am examining the small places and catching little foxes because I want the vineyard of my life to produce fruit.

Let’s guard against the foxes with the same vigilance we stand against the lion.

“Catch all the foxes,
      those little foxes,
   before they ruin the vineyard of love,
      for the grapevines are blossoming! … Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour.” Song of Solomon 2:15 & 1 Peter 5:8 NLT

6 comments:

Deborah said...

Hi Lisa, It is the little things that add up. You should see my laundry room and desk! If I just look at that, I would go crazy because it looks so cluttered...my closets too, come to think of it! I try not to worry about it anymore. I just take one day at a time and I am going to try to take a deep breath more.
It's scary losing a pet, I once looked in the trash for a kitten before the garbage lady came. The kitten was just sleeping in the house...I'm always trying to avoid the devil, trust me on that one.
Have a good day!
xxoo
Deborah

Nancy-Jane said...

Wonderful, wonderful post. I can totally relate.
Thanks for writing this.

Sonja said...

it's so true Lisa... we fight, go through, and survive the big things, but those 'little foxes' can undo us! It's almost as though we put the armour on and march through the 'dire', and then we relax and the little foxes can unravel us in a hurry! This was such a relevant sharing... hits every one of us!

Nana's Nuggets said...

Oh! Yes, as a recent post! I posted on the Full Armor of God! We must put it on every morning! and this post reminded me of that! Good job, and Thanks for the reminder that Satan is waiting to pounce! and devour us., Keep your Heart and Mind focused om Him every second of every day! To God Be the Glory!

Denise said...

Bless you for sharing this, love you.

Deb said...

Oh Lisa, how I can identify with your words. Having survived 2 stage 3 cancers and 2 transplants, you'd think the small stuff would never get to me again...but it does. I guess it's a good indication that some sense of "normal" is returning. It's a new normal for us as we also continue to process the trauma of cancer treatment and the grief and loss that goes along with it.
The reminder that He has trusted us with this and will waste none of it, keeps me focused on overcoming....even the small stuff, especially the small stuff. Love to you, Deb