home about speaking she cares resources contact

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Sighs of Contentment

Having a list of priorities really takes some of the stress out of life. We are at that time of the year when I tell myself the $1 leg/thigh combo from Popeye's is just as healthy (almost) as grilled chicken and the spicy red beans and rice make for a creative veggie.

Late nights. Homework. Tight schedules.

Once again, expectations get a reality check. I love having the neighborhood kids gather here for baseball games after school. I'm really glad they feel free to raid my fridge and invite themselves to dinner. I hope they see Jesus in this household and not just sibling rivalry, piles of laundry and a mommy nursing a migraine.

I try to take time to talk hang out with them a bit after school instead of locking myself away with those piles of laundry. Today I told them they could come straight from the bus stop but it would be a study hall. I loved hearing my children say things like, "We have lots of quiet places in our house," and "Studying isn't that boring at my house," and "We can get our homework done really fast and then play."

I have some want tos on my list this week. Want tos that can make me stressed and frustrated if I let them. The answer is clear as I sit down with my priorities today. The want tos just don't always fit in with the larger picture. I will have to let a friend know this. I pray I am not too much of a disappointment in this. I am recognizing my tendency to over commit in areas that are not true priorities. I just can't seem to say no to some things.

I realize that as I make the internal choice to say no and move forward with other things, I am free to say yes in ways I haven't before now. I like that. Remembering my top ten is becoming very beneficial.

"So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!" Romans 7:21-25

Does this sound familiar to anyone?


3 comments:

Sonja said...

a quick follow up from yesterday too. I was your age and with the same kind of crazy schedule when I FIRST began to learn to say no. I could ONLY do it because I realized my main job in life... my husband, kids & home... were getting second best from me because I was always committed to someone or something else. It's a hard one to learn Lisa, but if you keep weighing family against all the rest... it does help to stand firm and say an honest no, just can't do it right now... see... age does have benefits!! :)

You'll do it, just keep it front and center as you plan your days, and when you remember that GOD Hismself has called you to be wife, mom, and homemaker... it makes you stronger! Your 'no' is based on HIS plans for you.

Denise said...

Saying prayers for you sis, love you.

Sandy Cooper said...

"I realize that as I make the internal choice to say no and move forward with other things, I am free to say yes in ways I haven't before now. I like that."

This is the key. Knowing when to say no. It's tough. But once we do it, it's so liberating.

Blessings my sweet sis!
Sandy