home about speaking she cares resources contact

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Perfect


Almost every woman I know (and many men) struggle with the great balancing act of life. How to juggle more than one plate well is an age-old question whose answer could be written and sold for millions of dollars.

Yesterday as I sat and wondered how long I must wrestle with this issue, it struck me. God tells us to be many things: kind, loving, compassionate, submissive, forgiving, joyful, content, patient, faithful, gentle, self-controlled, alert, prayerful, giving, generous and even holy. But God never asks us to be perfect.

The Apostle Paul says, “Aim for perfection.”

This spoke volumes to me yesterday as I started the day. Instead of trying to live the perfect day where all my plates were balancing in harmony, I aimed for perfect realizing the arrows might fall a little short. Perfection is a journey ending in a final destination. As I aim I must remember that.

By eight o’clock yesterday morning I had aimed and missed so many times, I knew the day would look nothing like my list and bear no resemblance to my plan. But as I picked myself up, dusted myself off and started walking alone the road to perfection again, I became increasingly okay with that.

Perfect didn’t give me any time to write, do household chores or run errands yesterday. But my Number One Priority did lead me to caring for my top priorities, preparing and serving macaroni, Jello, Sprite, Popsicles and ice cream and hosting a neighborhood soccer game.

Somewhere between tossing my list and stirring Jello, I realized it really was a perfect day after all.

“Aim for perfection ... And the God of love and peace will be with you.” 2 Corinthians 13:11 NIV


7 comments:

Sonja said...

okay Lisa... you've said a real mouthful here! These are the words that it takes many of us 50 years to learn, and you said it 'PERFECTLY'!... So the next time life alters your view of perception, think jello, soccer, macaroni and cheese, and smile! You are really learning some good things about priorities... such a HUGE thing for women.

Love this!!

Gigi said...

Our lives really are a journey, aren't they?! And His mercies are new every morning...which means we get fresh opportunities to aim for that perfection!!

Love ya!!

Kimberly said...

My counselor always says "Progress before Perfection". It took me a long time to get it, but when I did it was freeing! Thank God for progress! Bless you!

Anita said...

You described what so many of us feel, so well.
Thank you.
We'll all wake up tomorrow and aim for perfection again and see where the arrow goes. :)

AveryHome said...

Wow, great post. I spend way to much time beating myself up for not being perfect that I forget how far I've come. Perfection is to be aimed for and not necessarily attained... at least not until Christ comes to take us home. Thank you!

Denise said...

Fantastic post.

Sandy Cooper said...

Okay...this one made me cry.

I recently read commentary on the "be perfect" scripture. The Greek word for "perfect" there is actually the same word for "complete." God is calling us to be "complete in Him" not perfect after all.

Yay.