home about speaking she cares resources contact

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Next Choice


One bad choice doesn’t have to lead to another bad choice. I preach this to my children, to myself, each day. We have power over our next decision.

So many times I oversleep, yell at the kids to hurry up and get dressed only to eat junk food for breakfast, forget to wash the uniform needed after school and so I keep right on yelling until bedtime at which point I decide to eat two brownies since it’s been such a hard day.

Sigh.

It’s true. I set the tone for my household. When I’m calm, organized and prepared, my children flourish. When I’m tired, stressed and overextended, so are my kids. When I’m cranky, they fight. When I make healthy food choices, so do they.

I can also change the tone in my house. When I realize I’m grumpy, I can choose to smile, tell a funny story, laugh at the radio or hug someone. It lightens the mood. Just because I oversleep doesn’t mean I can’t eat a healthy breakfast or give my children the help they need to get ready for school.

When I make my next choice a good one, I am showing my children how we as Christians have the power to change things. Sometimes change is found in perspective. Sometimes change is found in actions.

Either way, we must draw from the Life deposited in our souls. We must choose to live by our new nature in Christ. I want to use the Power at work within me and prove to others one bad choice doesn’t have to lead to another bad choice. We do have power over our decisions. Make the next one a good one.

 For when we died with Christ we were set free from the power of sin. Romans 6:7 NLT


7 comments:

Melanie said...

Amen

Deb said...

And Amen!

Laurie said...

Lisa, I love your post today! It's so true - seems we often have a mood downturn and just keep on riding it down rather than taking a moment to stop it and CHANGE it! This is a great lesson for us grown-ups to learn and impart to our kids. I have near-daily migraine pain, but I refuse to let it depress me!!! I love laughing and having fun and I do it daily because I choose to! Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom with us!!! God bless!

daylily (Queenmothermamaw) said...

and Amen, again. What an inspiring post for today. blessings
QMM

Denise said...

Amen, well said.

Lisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anita said...

You always have the best advice! And you back it up with scripture.

That scenario happens in my house too, but lately, I've put more thought into how to avoid it, and I'm having success. Yay!

Thanks for encouragement in keeping it up!