home about speaking she cares resources contact

Monday, September 13, 2010

In Fishing


Lift. Throw. Release.  Learning to fish takes practice and patience. Casting the rod is difficult. If the line isn’t let go properly things can end up a tangled mess. It seems no matter how hard I try I either have to cut my knotted line loose or settle on fishing in the puddles at my feet.

I have great childhood memories of fishing. My dad patiently helps me cast my line. He gently places his big hands over mine and lift, throw, release. Becoming agitated at no fishy nibbles, I toss my gear to the ground and sigh. My dad once again picks it up and casts it out to the deep waters. Then he hands me the rod. And together we wait.

This is the image that comes to mind as I ponder some of my favorite verses this morning. In my journey to simplify, I ask for help. I examine my load keeping the necessary items. I’m learning sometimes simplifying is setting down even necessary things in order to rest.

With a family of six many things are necessary. Much equipment is required. Sometimes it feels like too much. This life is full of so many cares. Some fall into the category of needless worry. Some fall into the category of necessary business. The Lord is saying, “God's strong hand is on you; ... Live carefree before God; he is most careful with you.” (1 Peter 5:6b &7 The Msg)

To live a carefree life we must feel God’s strong hand on us. We must let Him place His hand over ours and do the casting. When we are so tired we can’t lift our arms, we must let Him lift our cares and do the casting for us. With this picture in mind, I see part of this promise in a new way. Casting our cares on Jesus is not something we always do successfully but rather something we can allow Him to do for us. In His strength He can cast everyday concerns and irrational worries into the depths of the sea. Where in our frailness we can only drop them in the shallow puddles by our feet.

“Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.” 1 Peter 5:6-7 (NKJV)

What have you been trying to cast? Leave a comment and I’ll be sure to pray as God directs us in carefree living together.



2 comments:

Nana's Nuggets said...

Good Afternoon Lisa, Great Post! Sure something to "nibble" on! As I just shared with a Bloggy Friend, don't get down! Keep Trusting no matter where you find yourself. God is still holding you in the Palm of His Hand!! Oh! yeah, what a Promise. I just want to be where and what He wants me to be! Thank You Jesus! for your unchanging Hand! Have a Blessed Afternoon:)

Denise said...

Amen, prayer changes things. Together we are strong sis. I love you.