home about speaking she cares resources contact

Monday, August 02, 2010

Six Hundred Eight


My weekend started with a phone call. Just as I was boarding the elevator to go down to the first session of the conference, I received a phone call. It was my oncologist’s office. The nurse told me that it is official. The radiologist completely agrees with the doctor’s assessment of my scans. I am officially “no evidence of disease” and that my friends, gave my heart a tiny sigh. The impact of this miracle hit me like a ton of bricks and lightened my heart to soak in the weekend.

Would you take a moment with me now to praise our God for what He has done? July 29, 2010 I learned my body was free of visible disease. I was diagnosed on January 25, 2010. That’s just six short, or very long depending on how you look at it, months since my diagnosis and the Healer has healed my body.

Did I tell you how I am the only breast sarcoma patient of my doctor at MD Anderson, the nation's largest volume sarcoma clinic, to not receive chemo? Isn't that an awesome and miraculous answer to all your prayers? Now, please remember that chemo is not off the table so don’t stop praying. But, I do feel the freedom of three months. And, I thank God for all my days but especially the next ninety cancer-free days!

How could I spend my days doing anything but telling of all His goodness?

“I will sing of the LORD's great love forever; with my mouth I will make your faithfulness known through all generations.” Psalm 89:1

And so, it was with the lightest of hearts I stepped off the elevator into the place of dreams. Let me describe the scene. It was like the best ladies’ retreat I’ve ever been to but on steroids. I’ve been to conferences where everyone wanted to go to get more of Jesus. When hearts are united to seek Him it is a powerful thing.

I love that feeling where you walk into a room full of ladies who are all worshipping their Rescuer. It’s this beautiful site and reverent feeling that makes you want to take off your shoes, not only because they’re so cute and pointy your feet are throbbing but, because you just know you’re standing on holy ground. A holy ground that makes you forget about everything, even your aching feet, and see only Jesus.

I’ve had the distinct privilege in my lifetime of gathering in a place like this at least once a year for the last twenty or so years. Ladies. Loving their Jesus. Seeking His sweet face. Beautiful.

This weekend was different.

I not only wanted to take my shoes off; I wanted to get down on my face because His presence was just that strong. There was a power in the united desire of these women to speak of God’s goodness to a hurting world. There was no doubting the bigness of our God this weekend.

Six hundred eight women gathered to get more of their sweet Jesus with the sole purpose to give Him away. That made all the difference.

Six hundred eight women all stood on shaky legs, typed with shaky fingers and spoke with shaky lips. Six hundred eight women all are telling their story. It’s the Story of the Ages but packaged six hundred eight unique ways. We all share the same story. It’s one of redemption, love, grace and forgiveness. It’s one that never gets old, no matter how many times it’s heard.

And although, six hundred eight women who all do what I do were at first intimidating and a bit overwhelming and for just a few seconds I did wonder if there were room for one more in this arena, I realized in just about ten seconds that all the voices in the world talking at once couldn’t sing of all the goodness of God and that it would be a lonely arena if not for the six hundred seven that were with me.

Yesterday as I was leaving, I prayed that there would six hundred eight more next year and six thousand eight hundred more in the coming years.

She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue. Proverbs 31:26

25 comments:

Shelly @ Life on the Wild Side said...

Putting down the Sun Chips for just a minute (!) to say a prayer of thanksgiving for God's goodness to you, Lisa. What an amazing God! What an amazing story! Thank you for sharing it.

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

Lisa, Lisa, Lisa! This made me cry and laugh all at the same time! Praise God! What a Mighty God we serve!

By the way....I was thinking of you this morning as I looked at my messy house. NOT because you are messy but because you have been my encourager in my becoming more organized! And by just thinking of you this am, I was encouraged to do what I need to do!

Thank you sweet friend!

Marilyn...in Mississippi

Peggy said...

Blessings LISA...tears of JOY and I'm praising the LORD! Thanking Him for the good report... good report... GREAT REPORT! Truly an aMazing, MIRACULOUS God!!! and I'm so glad that you were able to be at SheSpeaks, too and all that this encompassed for everyone, but especially for you... a retreat and a time of refreshing with a BIG God! ohh nad 608...wisdom seekers & sharers in this & our aMazing God!

Christie said...

Praise God, Lisa!!! What an awesome testimony of God's glory and grace.

Continuing to pray for forever healing. He is big enough to do it ALL!!

Love,
Christie

Glynnis Whitwer said...

Hi Lisa, I wish I could have met you at the conference. I've been on your blog and prayed for you. Now I'm agreeing with all our sisters in thanking God for His goodness and faithfulness!

Lisa Buffaloe said...

Woooo hoooo! Praising God for this wonderful news!!!

Pleasant Drive said...

Jehovah Rapha, the God Who HEALS! I'm feeling a sisterhood with you today as I was able to take this same big, cancer-free sigh on June 18th. God's healing power is the ONLY explanation. May He use you and me and us for the supernatural advancement of His kingdom. I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever, and ever, and ever!

Leah Taylor said...

Praise the LORD. Bless His name forever and ever and ever. Rejoicing with you as a woman who never met you but worshiped with you at SHE SPEAKS.

"Gracious GOD I give you praise for miraculous healing, but most imporantly for the access into YOUR presence! Bless this sister in Jesus' Name!" Amen

Luann Prater said...

Yay! God! I met you briefly in the hall. Did you get a chance to go into the prayer room? I love to hear the God stories that happen there.

From the moment you registered, you were prayed over. Your name was prayed over Thursday before being placed on a Name of God. It always blows my mind and confirms His goodness when I hear how perfectly matched the names are.

I am collecting She Speaks moments, may I add yours to the batch?

Praising God

Pat said...

It was amazing to meet you sweet Lisa. We have been friends behind the screen, now we are friends who have hugged!
I am praising God with you and for you.
xoxoxoxo
pat

Andrea @ Unfailingly Loved said...

Wonderful to meet you and spend time with you this weekend, Lisa. God's glory shines brightly through you. You are gift to the world, bringing encouragement that to not fear but walk in faith. Thanks for blessing me with your presence.

Michele said...

Praising God with you. So glad He filled your cup this weekend! Made me smile just thinking about your smiling face...you deserved that time!

Lindsey @ A New Life said...

I am so glad you had such sweet, precious news from the doctor~ we've been keeping you and your family in our prayers. My kids know you as the lady who gave me the "yucky" juice. They didn't like it at all when they snuck some :-)

I'm also glad you had such a wonderful time at She Speaks. You have an amazing heart and an amazing testimony that shines faith.

Miss you! xoxoxo,
Lindsey

Stacey Dawn said...

Praying and praising God for your healing...

Kimberly said...

Amen! Amen! Amen! I could not have described it any better. As a matter of fact, my heart is still so overwhelmed, I have not even been able to try to describe it yet! :)

I love this line..."I not only wanted to take my shoes off; I wanted to get down on my face because His presence was just that strong." That is completely how I felt! There was one moment it was all I could do not to just drop right to the floor right where I was.

What a privilege it was to be one of the other 607 worshiping our amazing Father with you this weekend, Lisa. So glad we got to connect!

And PRAISE GOD on your good report!
Love and prayers,
K

Luke1:38 said...

Hi Lisa. I am so thankful that I met you at She Speaks. What you wrote is so powerful. I can hear you speaking. You are such a beautiful spirit. You are strong and highly favored of the Lord. We are praying for you here in South Carolina. Keep Lighting the World for Christ...Thinking of you...Tonyia

Denise said...

Woo Hoo, praising God with you sis, love you.

Loren said...

Praising God through tears and shouts of JOY! This is HIS miracle in YOU! and may we shout it all across the world of HIS goodness, His Power, His Healing! What a blessing to see this journey unfold day by day, prayer by prayer! ONLY GOD....Oh How We Love HIM and Praise HIm for all HE has done !!

Love you Lisa
xoxo

Barbie said...

Oh this is good news! Doing the happy dance!

Cindy Bultema said...

Woo Hoo!! Rejoicing with you, my dear sister!! God is so good, isn't He??!
What a blessing to finally connect in person! You are beautiful, inside and out!! May the Lord continue to use you powerfully for His Kingdom purpose!
Bring it girl!
Love to you~
Cindy :)

Maurie@GraciousInteriors.blogspot said...

Lisa, I found your site from She Sparkles. And I am praising God for his goodness to you. Who says, God doesn't perform miracles today? He does; we just fail to see them! The conference sounds amazing. This year I attended Speak Up conference, but next year I would like to try She Speaks. Thanks for the description...like the best women's retreat on steroids! By the way, I'd welcome a stop by. I am a fairly new blogger who is taking a one question survey of possible topics for future posts. I'd love to have your input. GraciousInteriors.blogspot.com. Thanks.

Sarah said...

Praising God for your healing!!!
Take nothing for granted!!
Giving Him all the Glory!! He is so awesome!!!

PTL for your wonderful weekend!!

Amanda said...

What great news!!!!

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site lifeoflisasmith.blogspot.com
Is this possible?

Stephanie Garneau said...

Lisa, I wish we could have connected at the conference! I had a similar experience with God the last morning during worship. He told me to get down on my face, and I have to admit I was a little uncomfortable! But He is teaching me not to fear man and to fear Him alone. When I obeyed, He told me I needed to corporately repent in front of my entire church (~1000 people) for the bitterness I was harboring. I initially thought I would vomit, but when I wrote out my prayer of surrender and laid it at the cross, I picked up the promise from John 14:15-16 "If you love me, you will obey my commands. And I will send you a helper." I knew what I had to do and shared this past Sunday with my congregation of God's many miracles at the conference! It truly was holy ground!!