home about speaking she cares resources contact

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Loud Grace



Obviously I’m going to need some grace as I try to build community this year. Here I am in a new place physically, professionally, spiritually and emotionally and I plumb forget one of my most favorite events of the week.

As a follow up to She Speaks, I am participating in a series of conference calls for writers. Last week’s call was so encouraging and overwhelming and did I mention encouraging? The ladies are so wonderful. Connecting over the phone was just like connecting at the conference only without the face-to-face. I just know this group is a treasure of information, love and support. We only have six calls and I'm savoring every one of them already.

I anticipated the call all day. I planned on listening in as I watched a child audition for swim team. As seven o’clock approached, I was taking my child who is a "character" to the bathroom for what we call here in this house a talkin’ to for the second time. In an hour.

I plumb forgot about the conference call. I plumb forgot it was Monday or seven o’clock or that I was at swim team tryouts for that matter. All I could see was red. I was way too busy talking myself out of a tizzy and way too busy giving my "character" a talkin’ to to remember where I was or what else I was supposed to be doing.

The first day of school and unfamiliar routines have a way of doing that. I’m growing in the area of my life called discipline and organization. I must write everything down and carry that list with me. I must plug it into my phone and set an alarm, a loud one. I must extend grace to myself when it all gets to be too much. And I must extend grace to my "character" when he requires all my attention, even attention I planned to spend somewhere else.

I thought extending grace was an appropriate theme for my day since what I was trying to do was learn how to boast about Christ better and more effectively. The Bible is clear. Our weaknesses speak louder than our strengths ever could. I need loud grace this week. I’m having a moment, ya’ll.

Where do you need loud grace today?

[God] said,“My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. . . So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most. 2 Corinthians 12:9 & Hebrews 4:16

8 comments:

Andrea said...

I need "loud grace" nearly every day. As hard as I try to do the right thing...I mess up.
Blessings and hugs,
andrea

daylily (Queenmothermamaw) said...

I am hollering for the grace everyday, but I know it will come and it does come. Nothing is more important than being there when Mom is the only one that will do. Like Jesus.
QMM

Anita said...

That picture says it all! The boy covered in whatever that is, and the oblivious headless girl on other side listening to her iPod. :)

Like you and the others, I need it ever day! Three kids, a dog, a husband who works late...I have to laugh.

Heart2Heart said...

Lisa,

Your message hit home. No matter how hard I try I always come up short. Thank goodness and praise God for grace.


Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Elizabeth said...

For real. Amen.

Please tell me that's marker.

Denise said...

I need His grace everyday sis, love you.

Christian Mom & Wife said...

I definitely need it EVERY day! Some more than other and those are the days I scream for it.

Sandy Cooper said...

Oh honey...we are sisters indeed. These transition times. Everything is falling through the cracks. I need to extend and receive some SERIOUS grace.

And I think it's quite amazing that you thought to snap a picture of the red hands.

Love you,
Sandy