home about speaking she cares resources contact

Monday, August 30, 2010

Long Days


I am staring at my calendar wondering how in the world I will get it all done. Again. My tasks seem to out number my minutes and it leaves me a little panicky.

Oh, I’ve prayed and I will continue to pray over my calendar, obligations and commitments. I will find a way and I even know that God will make a way when there seems to be none. But I’m still nervous.

Besides the laundry, groceries and cleaning, there is now homework and swim team and conference calls. I don’t want to forget my conference call again.

There are also the added duties that the Labor Day holiday brings and the birthday factor that fall brings to our family.

Can you say overwhelming? I’m trying to not say it. This morning I took it to the Lord. Yesterday in church the pastor used this verse. It spoke volumes to my chaotic, list-laden heart.

“The fear of the LORD lengthens days.” Proverbs 10:27 Living Bible

Doesn’t that create space in your life? It created a huge gap in mine. I need for my days to be lengthened on more levels than one. I’m asking God for a long life, yes, oh yes. But this week I’m asking God for long days.

I’m praying for His strength, energy and courage to tackle all that awaits. I’m asking for His perspective, provision and protection as I do it. And, I’m asking the same for you sweet sister as fall is officially under way.

So let’s take care of first things first, seek the Lord and enjoy our days. What would you do if your days were long enough?


7 comments:

B His Girl said...

Hi Lisa,

I see you are very busy. Not surprising with all your blessings. I will pray for you to have peace as you get things done. Don't forget to rest. That is important too. blessings, b

Kimberly said...

I was thinking that you could look at your obligations and commitments in another way...praise God that you are able to do so many wonderful things, such as celebrate birthdays with your family, take care of their needs like laundry and meals, participate in conference calls and all the many things on your list. Even though it may seem overwhelming, in light of the year you've had, it is a blessing that you have these options! When I've been overwhelmed by my "to do" lists, I've found a few things that help me to keep it all in perspective...take it one day at a time, one moment at a time and don't dwell too much on the future or the past. Stay in the present. Maintain an attitude of gratitude. Don't be afraid to say no. He gives us as much light as we need for where we're at, and He is faithful! I'm excited for you that you have so many wonderful blessings in your life...and blessings they are.

Stay encouraged!

Sandy Cooper said...

When I feel overwhelmed, I like to crawl under a blanket and take a nap. So counter-productive, I know.

I am in the same boat, sista. I will let you know if I get the answer. But I do LOVE that scripture you referenced. I never thought of it in terms of literally lengthening the hours in our days. Pretty cool.

Love you!!!
Sandy

Gigi said...

Here's one I'm working on, my sister: 2 Corinthians 10:5..."We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." (NIV)

I, too, tend to get distracted by the distractions!!!! Sooooooo...I have decided that I need to really work on bringing those thoughts, those "distractions" into submission. We are told in this verse to "take captive every thought and make it obedient to Christ."

In order to help me, I will be using a new journal - originally purchased for something else, but not needed. Those "thoughts" and "distractions" will be turned into prayers and praises to my Father. For example...you mentioned you didn't want to forget your conference call. If that were MY call, I would enter it into my journal this way: "Thank you, Father, for the reminder that I have a conference call at 10 a.m. on September 7th. I am so looking forward to hearing about xyz!"

I am excited about turning my frustrations around and foiling the enemy while at the same time spending more time praising my King! Just like Joseph told his brothers in the Book of Genesis: You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good!

Have a blessed week!! xo

Big Fat Mama said...

Hi there Lisa,
You sound like me. I have 4 children under the age of six. There is always something to do. I have learned to take things minute by minute. And, remember the importnace of priority. What really matters most?

I have felt such peace this past week and it's actually been very simple to find -trust. I wrote about it in my post today - First Comes Trust, then Comes Peace. If my days were longer I would trust longer. :)
Big Fat Mama

Nana's Nuggets said...

Hi! Lisa, Life does get busy, but Praise god he gives us one day at a time! And really if the day was longer I'm not sure if I would get anymore done than I set out to do for that day! I have just tried to look at it this way; I will get done just what His plan allotted me that day Nothing more; nothing less! To God Be the Glory! that I can get up and do it:).Have a Blessed week!

Denise said...

Praying strength, and much peace into your life sis. I love you.