home about speaking she cares resources contact

Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Lessons in the Prayer Room

She Speaks Prayer Room Series continued.

“Go clean your room and don’t come out until it’s finished!” I wagged my finger at my daughter as I flipped the TV off and helped her off the couch. I wanted to start laundry and her room was a sea of dirty clothes. I’d been after her for several days and she couldn’t seem to simply pick the clothes up off the floor. I was exasperated. She was avoiding this one simple chore like the plague and the longer she procrastinated, the harder it became to start.

She got up and begrudgingly walked to her room. I breathed a sigh of relief, went about my business and gave her about ten minutes to get started. I was smiling as I walked back to her room to help her finish the work.

As I entered her doorway, I saw to my great dismay that she was sprawled across her bed talking on the phone. My mother brains threatened to explode all over her room. Once again, she had found a reason to put off cleaning her room. I looked at her incredulously and mouthed, “What?!”

Placing her hand over the mouthpiece, her little mouth poured out a series of justifications explaining why this call was urgent. She then hopped off the bed, hugged me and told me she’d clean her room when she got off the phone. As she breezed past me she smiled and said, “Oh and mom, I love you.”

I was left standing in the doorway with my mouth hanging open. In that moment, my mothering skills or rather, my complete lack of mothering skills slapped me in the face. I asked God, “Lord, how can I teach her? Obedience is immediate.”

The Lord replied ever so quietly, “Lisa, where do you think she learned this?”

Ouch! It’s true. I do not have the best track record of follow through when it comes to what my Lord has asked me to do. I am ashamed to admit this. What this boils down to is that my life has simply been one of compromise in many areas. I mean, I have cried out to the Lord telling Him how much I love Him. I have sworn allegiance to Him but when it boils down to action, sadly, I have fallen very short.

Instead of jumping up and going about His business immediately, I have stalled asking questions, justifying until tomorrow and spreading good intentions like melting butter on a hot piece of toast.

My friend Lysa brought a verse to my attention. I read the verse and her own experiences and felt the Holy Spirit tell me we’d be taking a journey. Did you know the Israelites, God’s chosen people, loved God with their whole hearts yet still tested Him?

“They willfully put God to the test by demanding the food they craved.” Psalm 78:18

Ponder that thought. God is providing for His people’s every need as they wander in the desert and yet they are still testing Him. They still tell God what they want instead of thankfully receiving what He’s provided and they still question Him.

I don’t know if you can relate but oh, how this sounds like me. But, we have hope. Listen to the next verses in this Psalm. I’m paraphrasing the next few verses so you can get the idea.

They remembered that God was their rock and redeemer but then they would flatter Him with their mouths… Yet he was merciful; he forgave them and did not destroy them… He guided them safely so they were unafraid. Psalm 78:36, 38 & 53

I can look back over all the instances of hesitation and procrastination and incomplete obedience in my life. My main reason for not immediately, cheerfully and completely obeying Him is fear. I am afraid. As I look back I can also see how God has been merciful. He has guided me. I know God’s word is clear those who love Him will obey Him. How can we not?

Sunday morning each lady took a promise from the foot of a wooden cross. My promise was this.

“We know we love God’s children if we love God and obey his commandments. Loving God means keeping his commandments., ad his commandments are not burdensome. For every child of God defeats this evil world, and we achieve this victory through our faith. 1 John 5:2-4



4 comments:

KELLY W said...

Wonderful Lisa......very inspiring! Love you

Mariel said...

ouch and amen!! this was a great reminder! isn't it painful when the Lord uses our own children to display our ugliness to ourselves?! definately keeps me humble!!

blessings~M

Denise said...

Awesome reminder sis, love you.

Bernie said...

At least you are strong enough to accept your faults and learn by them and the blessing is "sharing with us" but sometimes we all choose to learn the hard way.
Be well my friend, keeping you in my heart and prayers....:-) Hugs