home about speaking she cares resources contact

Thursday, August 12, 2010

I Am Not


Since returning from She Speaks, I have been reading a devotional called For the Write Reasons by Marybeth Whalen.  This is a book written for writers. Specifically for those writers who long to share the message Jesus has placed in their hearts.

I am on day 6. I have wept over the three page devotional each day. I thought at first it was because Marybeth captures one particular aspect of writing for Christ so perfectly each day. She does but that is not why I have wept. I thought that I wept because I am gleaning so much from all of the talented and experienced writers who contributed to this book. They have but that is not why I have wept.

I determined this morning that I have been weeping because my heart is asking this one question, “Who am I?”

Lord, who am I that you would give me this love for words. Who am I that you would trust to string words together that someone might actually want to read? Lord, who am I that you would allow to speak for You, a holy God? Who am I?

The Lord answered me the same way He answered Moses many, many years ago.
You are not but I AM.

And once more, I was reduced to tears. I wept because the I AM is all I need to share my story. I wept because the I AM has chosen me. I wept because the I AM has sent me to you. I wept because it’s not even about how much I love Him. It really is all about how much He loves me. And you.

But Moses said to God, "Who am I, that I should go?…
And God said, "I will be with you…And…you will worship God…I AM has sent you.”
Exodus 3:11a, 12a, 12b & 14b


8 comments:

Andrea said...

Sounds like I may need to check out this book.
Blessings and prayers,
andrea

Nana's Nuggets said...

Hi! Lisa, good post, for years it seemed I have a poster on my fridge entitled " I Am". It just really leaves a sweet spirit inside just to focas on the "I Am",
and yes who are we that He Loved Us this Much?!

Sonja said...

Lisa:

That was just beautiful!

I AM loves me too... that's really all I need to know.

You said this perfectly.

Hugs!

Kari said...

I am so glad that I Am sent you to me! I love your words and the way you string them together! Please keep on writing!

Maubrey said...

hi visiting and dropping on your blog..

so to be frank do u like my blog..if so follow and drop a comment ..if u dont like means just dont drop a comment ..

Stacy said...

Hi Lisa,
I don't think I have commented yet, but have been peaking in your window for the last month or so. Thank you for sharing from your heart each day all that God is speaking to you and doing in your life. You do have a story to share....but it is His story imprinted on your heart. Your post was beautiful and so true. All of this life isn't about us, it is about Him and all that He wants to do in and through us. He will equip you. He will write the words for you on the page, all you have to do is hold the pen.

I was just diagnosed with breast cancer this June and am walking a similar path.

Thanks for opening your window through this blog and letting God's light shine through you onto each of us. Here's to more of His light and more pages.

Much love in Christ,
Stacy

Debbie said...

Beautifully said...HUGS

Denise said...

Such lovely words sis.