home about speaking she cares resources contact

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Facebook Fast


Figure out what God is doing and go there. That’s what my longtime pastor friend encourages.

So yesterday when I saw my pastor and his wife on MSNBC being interviewed about our church's National Facebook Fast, I decided I should be doing a better job of not only participating but also promoting the principles in Kerry Shook’s latest book, Love at Last Sight.

In honor of the fast, I’ll keep it brief and go get face-to-face with someone. Take a moment, look around, recognize what God is doing and go there. Today. Love somebody without technology.

I’m going to phone a friend I miss and schedule a face-to-face time we can catch up in person. I’m going to call the friend who I was supposed to meet for lunch and weep with her because her beloved pet is very sick. I’m going to be intentional to pour attention into those closest to me today.

What will you do without technology today?

So Jesus explained himself at length. "I'm telling you this straight. The Son can't independently do a thing, only what he sees the Father doing. What the Father does, the Son does. The Father loves the Son and includes him in everything he is doing. John 5:19-20 The Msg



7 comments:

Denise said...

Amen, love you my sweet sis.

Shelly @ Life on the Wild Side said...

It's funny, I didn't read your post prior to these two things, so it doesn't really count (ha!), but this morning I made lunch plans with a friend I had not seen in YEARS and I went for a walk with another friend. Great reminder!

Andrea @ Unfailingly Loved said...

Great post, Lisa. Definately worth pondering ...

Nana's Nuggets said...

Hi! Lisa, Loved this post! Oh! just the simplicity of Christ! If only we would slow down to enjoy it! I have been getting back to buying cards and actually writing hand notes to family and friends! I just love doing that, to me it is so personal. I loved the scripture also. Have a Blessed Thursday!:)

KELLY W said...

Shelly and I are always behind!! I just read your post and came to a conclusion on Monday of this week, I was giving up all those stupid games on FB! It is a total waste of my precious time and can't bellieve it has taken me this long to figure that out. I was only playing 2, but that was 2 too many!! I do plan to keep up with my friends and read posted blogs a few hours a week, but not everyday! This is Thursday afternoon and so far I have keep my promise!! Love you girl!

Kimberly said...

How ironic that I am catching up with your blog after being away from technology for a month! We got back from our missions trip earlier this week and I have finally read through all of your posts that I missed, in order to catch up with you! She Speaks sounded like it was awesome for you, I am so glad you had a great time. Sounds like you have crossed the threshold into a whole new era. (These are the words my husband used to describe what God is doing in our family as a result of our trip...timely words!) It will be amazing to see what God does in our lives in the days and weeks and months and years ahead. I am very excited for you, and inspired. I too want to write a book, and have actually started it, but don't feel the release to finish it or even work on it just yet. God is in the process of rearranging my life so that I am in a better position to focus on the book and the content from a different perspective. I'm learning to wait on God's perfect timing as well. As my hubby says, waiting is active, not passive.

Anyway, just stopping in to say hello and blessings to you and your family!!!!

Sandy Cooper said...

Oh...I'm so torn about this. I see the value of face-to-face, but so many of my dear friends (like YOU) are technology friends!

WHAT TO DO??????

Love you!!!!
Sandy