home about speaking she cares resources contact

Friday, August 20, 2010

The End

I read in a couple of different spots this morning that waiting on God always results in others coming to know Him.

This thought made me happy. Actually, so happy I wept real tears.

You can peruse almost any post from January 18 to April 30 on this blog and see how I waited on God. Every. Single. Day. I waited for a diagnosis. I waited for a complete pathology. I waited for surgery approval. I waited for staging. I waited for a treatment plan. I waited for treatment. I waited to see if it worked. I wait to see if it’s still working.

During this time I also waited for my house to sell, waited to buy another one and waited to move.

Since we moved, waiting hasn’t been as time consuming. While we still wait, we also happen to be hurriedly living life. Returning from She Speaks marked a new phase of ministry for me. It seems to be a hurry-up-and-wait phase.

I know these things that I am to do. Yet, I must wait to hear God’s voice before completing them. This has been difficult for me. I don’t like to jump into something new without a total vision package. I like to begin with the end in mind.

This morning God set me straight. The end will always be others coming to know Him. If waiting produces a greater reach for the gospel. And if waiting on God’s perfect time always works out well, perfectly. Then waiting isn’t such a bad thing.

And in the translations I was reading today, waiting and patience are used interchangeably. So, I think it’s safe to say that practicing waiting is essentially exercising patience. And that, my friends, is a very good thing.

The Message says that God waits to deliver us so that He can give us space and time to change. That got me to thinking. Maybe all this craziness in my head is an indication that something needs to change. So today I will quiet the crazies in my head and focus on waiting strong while asking God if there is any way I need to change. And in the waiting, I’ll thank Him for giving me the time to do it.

Are there any circumstances in your life that God is using to cultivate patience? Share here and I would love to pray for you today.

“God isn’t late with His promise. . . He is restraining himself on account of you. . . because he doesn’t want anyone lost. He’s giving everyone space and time to change. . . Interpret our Master’s patient restraint for what it is: salvation.” 1 Peter 3:9 &15 The Msg


20 comments:

Denise said...

Blessings and much love to you sis.

Debbie said...

I can soo identify with this post. Soo much waiting this year. These are such good thoughts on this subject. I wish I learned things a little faster. I waited (and wait still) on all the things on your list as well. In addition, right now the arthritis in my knees is soo bad I can just hardly get around and yet I must WAIT for my body to have a chance to fully recover (just time) before I can do the replacement surgeries that need to be done. Meanwhile I hurt and can't seem to do much. Certainly many of the things I want to do ~ and sometimes (like today) it is just giving this whole house a good vacuuming. And then run to the grocery story and finally a little "fun" shopping. sigh....seem like such simple things huh? Very frustrating. I love visiting your blog. I always leave feeling encouraged and re-focused. Blessings to you, Debbie

daylily (Queenmothermamaw) said...

Thank you Lisa for this blessing today.
QMM

Anonymous said...

Your writing today is timely and a blessing, thank you!! God is using you in my life as I follow your journey:)

Natalie Osberg
MN

Andrea @ Unfailingly Loved said...

I am convinced that waiting on God is one of the hardest things we must do, in and out of times of trial. Thank you for your wisdom and your grace.

Amanda said...

Lisa,
I visit you blog daily and pray for you. In the process you help me so much that I had to write to you and let you know.
Your words help me to re-focus and
to realize that while I waited for answers from God, he was waiting for me to "get it". Well, I did and
it happened reading you posts.
It's been a long journey for me and would like you to pray for my sight to improve. Also for my son's teacher husband(Rick) who has cancer and is very ill with an infeccion.
Blessings to you and much health.

Amanda

Anonymous said...

I too, have had breast cancer. Was diagnosed in July '08, had bi-lateral mastectomy, stage IIA. Had 3 months of chemo. After first chemo, husband had a major stroke and was hospitalized one month, not sure if he would live or die. Had the rest of my treatments by myself with everything else at home to keep up with, visits to the hospital, talking with his doctors, getting the house equipped with safety features to help with his disability, etc. All this on top of losing my hearing in both ears due to Meniere's Disease, made it even more challenging. Still waiting to see if the estrogen blocking drugs will keep cancer from recurring. Waiting to see if husband will ever get better. Waiting to see if son will come back to the U.S. to work and get his Ph.D. Waiting...well, you get the idea. What challenges we face in life!
Dee

Christie said...

Lisa,

We've "waited" for 2.5 years (and still wait) to get pregnant...all the while God changes our hearts and reveals His plan and purposes...

We've "waited" since last October to adopt/foster...we're still "waiting"...all the while God calms our hearts and reassures us that His timing is perfect.

Will you pray for patience and the complete knowledge to know that He really IS in control and that His timing really IS perfect!?

Love and hugs,
Christie

Chris/Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris/Amy said...

My husband and I waited while we tried to get pregnant, then we waited through what seemed to be a long wait (3 Years and the loss of a failed adoption) to adopt our son. He is 2 months old on Sunday and God has blessed us more than we could have ever imagined. We have a very open adoption with an amazing birth mom that we are proud to call a part of our family. Waiting for God's timing was heartbreaking at times but his timing was perfect and we would never change our situation.

Sheryl said...

what a great post!!

i'm waiting for healing, i'm waiting for restoration, i'm waiting for answers to finanical hardship, i'm waiting on relationships, i'm waiting....

seems like it's all i'm doing sometimes. thanks for the reminder that in my "waiting" God is hard at work!!

Sandy Cooper said...

I am always encouraged by watching other women in their distress clinging to Jesus with all their strength. There is just something about the raw-ness of that...it gives me hope.

So thanks for waiting, and for being brave enough to blog about it.

Love you!!!!
Sandy

Gigi said...

While I wait, I will be praying for you all...God bless.

Kimberly said...

What an excellent post, Lisa. Waiting can be so, so, so, so hard. I am not always the best at waiting. :) God is continually having to help me RELAX and TRUST Him.

I am so thankful that we can feel safe in our wait...that He does not have us wait just to see us squirm or just because He can. He always, always, always has purpose in our wait, LOVING purpose...and as you have mentioned here, that purpose is so not just about us.

Thanks for this encouragement today. The truth of His Word makes waiting so much more bearable. :)
Love,
K

Stacey Dawn said...

Thank you - this helps me - If I have to wait to be healed, if my mom has to wait to be healed - becuase it brings more to God - that makes the waiting easier.

Bobbie said...

Isn't everyone in a stage of waiting on something or another? I never stop to think of what God was accomplishing in the waiting. I am unsure/unclear of what to do about my job/my career, after spending so much time and energy (and money) in an advanced degree...

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

You always bless me....Beautiful...

Mad Men Girl said...

Hey there!

I have entered a contest to win a walk-on role on that retro-licious TV show, "Mad Men"... but I need your vote to win!

If you don't mind taking a couple of seconds to vote for me, click the link - it will take you right to my picture.


Thanks a bunch!

Heart2Heart said...

Lisa,

Love your post today and it truly does speak volumes for me today. My soul has been restless and for me it's being far too busy and not spending enough time putting peace back in my life.

Thanks for sharing your heart with me today.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Warren Baldwin said...

Excellent post. You have had some heavy things to wait on in the recent past. God's continued blessings to you and your family.