home about speaking she cares resources contact

Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Eating Elephant


The first in the Prayer Room Series. There was a prayer room at She Speaks that was this amazing and reverent place filled with God’s glory, goodness and presence. The Proverbs 31 team prayed over each name of the ladies in attendance and placed it by a name of Jesus. I’ll describe more details of my experience there in a future post but this was my response to God that I wrote early Sunday morning.

***************************************************

This weekend.

Truly one of the most powerful experiences of my life.

Before I left home, I had the image of eating an elephant in my mind. I have for quite some time now. Do you know the age-old answer to this question?

How do you eat an elephant?

One piece at a time.

Do you have a dream so big, so real, so dear to your heart that it seems impossible to accomplish?

I do. Over the last two years, this dream has been given the slightest hope. My dream has started having a fighting chance. As I began to believe my big dream could become a reality, I’ve pondered that very question.

How will I eat an elephant?

This weekend, the Lord answered me very simply.

In bite-sized chunks.

I’ll just put it out there. My huge, gigantic dream is to write a book.

I’ve wondered what I could say that would be a unique voice in this world. I’ve wondered if I even had enough words to stay on topic. I’ve wondered where to start and what to say. I’ve wondered why I believe what I have to say is worth publishing.

This weekend in the quiet presence of the Lord, He sweetly addressed my fears.

Did you know all the volumes that could ever be written could not record and store all the goodness of our God? Think about that.

As I pondered that thought, suddenly my huge task seemed very small. How could my life not contain enough words to fill one volume of God’s goodness? My life speaks volumes of His goodness, love, mercy, grace, redemption and forgiveness.

My one book will be one tiny act of worship in a giant God’s giant universe. I pray it will speak volumes of God’s goodness, love, mercy, grace, redemption and forgiveness.

And I will begin with one bite-sized chunk.

Let’s take just one bite of elephant together to make our dreams a reality tomorrow.

Publish his glorious deeds among the nations. Tell everyone about the amazing things he does… His word burns in my heart like a fire. It’s like a fire in my bones! I am worn out trying to hold it in.! I can’t do it! Psalm 96:3 & Isaiah 20:9b


5 comments:

Deborah said...

You can do it Lisa, your writing is beautiful. Go for it! One bite at a time!
xxoo
Deborah

Denise said...

My dear sis, I have no doubt at all, you can, and will do this. I have so much faith in you, but more importantly, our Father has His faith in you. Now, come on, we have an elephant to prepare to eat, yummy!!

Tea with Tiffany said...

I believe in you. Did you ever read my post about " my unbelief" a couple weeks ago with my book writing? Well, I relate to you in this adventure. But our GOD IS HUGE and he will equip us to write in bite-size chunks.

I'm still not sure what I am writing or when or why. LOL. Plus I have other dreams of traveling on missions trips and touching lives in speaking and through pictures. Ultimately I can do nothing, but through the Holy Spirit, I can do something I could never imagine possible.

I can't wait to hear more about your time at She Speaks. I prayed for you all many times. For God to come near.

Love,
tiffers

Connie Barris said...

Always praying...

and yes.. through HIM.. we can do all things... even eat an elephant!!!

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

Visiting from Renee's blog. I couldn't attend She Speaks this year and desperately want to. Maybe next year. My dream, like yours, is to write a book and to speak. I've asked myself those same questions, and have fears and doubts aplenty. Thank you for sharing this series and what God is speaking to you.