home about speaking she cares resources contact

Monday, August 23, 2010

The Beginning

Today is the first day of school. It was a little more hectic than I had anticipated because all our buses were late but I relished the extra minutes it gave us all to talk at the bus stop. Because I’m the rockin’ mother that I am, I didn’t even snap a first day picture. But I do have the memory tucked away where it counts, in my heart. And for all who are curious, I’ll try to take a picture this afternoon or tomorrow morning for posterity.

So many of you commented and emailed this weekend asking for prayer. Lots of you are going through hard, hard stuff. This life is hard. The one thing I realized in all of your requests is that we need community. We all need a safe place where somebody will wrap Jesus arms around us and hold us tight until we can stand on our own again.

I’m praying for each of my children to find community here in Montgomery. A great friend or two in their classes, somebody to look forward to saying hi to each morning, loving teachers and fun learning are some of things I’m praying they find at school this year. I’m praying the same for me. I want community here too. I want some go to friends who are close in proximity. You know the type, the friends who pray for you, support you, love your kids. Above all, I’m encouraging my children to be friends like this, to be people of character.

These friendships don’t happen over night but they are started one hello at a time. So say hello to someone today. Reach out and do something kind and someday real soon you just might find yourself in community with others.

In Mark 8, some people were in community with a blind man. Mark 8:22 says they brought the sightless man to Jesus and begged Jesus to give him a healing touch. Don’t you want friends like that? Friends who lead you straight to Jesus and beg Him to give you a healing touch. Don’t you want to be a friend like that?

Jesus puts spit in the man’s eyes and laid hands on him. Then Jesus asks him if he sees anything. The man says he sees men walking around that look like trees. So Jesus laid hands on his eyes again. Then the main realizes he can see clearly.

I love this story because the beginning that we don’t get is that this man is part of a beautiful community of Jesus loving friends, friends who take their sightless friend to a Jesus who doesn’t give up after one touch. Friends who I doubt would’ve let Jesus give up after one touch.

I want friends like this. I want to be a friend like this. Imagine if we were all friends like this. I think we would all belong to the community for which we are searching.

Above all, remember that you have a friend in a Jesus who won’t give up on you after one touch. So keep receiving His touches, looking hard and freely giving them. Share how you have received or given a touch today.

“So Jesus laid hands on his eyes again. The man looked hard and realized that he had recovered perfect sight, saw everything in bright, twenty-twenty focus.” Mark 8:25 The Msg



5 comments:

Gigi said...

Yes...AMEN to being and having friends like that!

Andrea @ Unfailingly Loved said...

Thanks, Lisa. That is a beautiful picture. First day of freshman orientation today for my oldest daughter. Praying for community for her, too. Trusting God for it, as well.

GrandmaK said...

Wishing your children a wonderful school year. Cathy

Heart2Heart said...

Lisa,

What a beautiful post to remind us all to take that little extra time and show one another the love that God has so graciously given to us. Perhaps we can make the world we live in a better place, one person at a time.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Denise said...

Bless you for such a beautiful post sis, love you.