home about speaking she cares resources contact

Friday, July 16, 2010

Wonky Thoughts

My head is all wonky.  That’s the only way to describe the racing of my mind right now.

You see, I’ve been on this journey with the Lord for a couple of weeks where all He’s been doing is showing me where my thought life is responsible for luring me into a life of compromise. Take this for example, I bake a pan of brownies. I intend to eat only one. I cut one, lick the knife, gather the stray crumbs and eat. When I’m finished, I reason that I’ll just eat a sliver more and before I know it, I’ve eaten six brownies a fraction at a time. This is, of course, followed by feelings of guilt, shame and failure. So, I just eat a couple more since the damage has been done.

Sound all too familiar?

The Lord has taken this basic principle and turned my life upside down in the last two weeks.

Take example number two.We just had a conference call about how to prepare for She Speaks. I entered the call feeling excited, prepared and ready. I left the call feeling ill prepared, inexperienced and overwhelmed. Because I know the ladies at Proverbs 31 meant for this call to be uplifting and encouraging, I asked the Lord to change my thoughts.

He led me to be thankful for a group of women who care enough to instruct me so I can arrive well equipped for success. He led me to humbly submit to the leadership of those with more experience in a shared calling and in ministry. He basically told me I had a choice. I choose to learn and grow. I am accepting their challenge.

Take yesterday’s example. I attended a seminar that was quite honestly maybe the most valuable business seminar I’ve ever attended. And I’ve been to some good ones. In a nutshell, it was about thinking. The presenter taught how to give an entertaining and powerful presentation if we would just think differently. I will introduce you to him and tell you more as I process all of this but God is really taking my thinking to a new and different place.

This morning I have just been thanking Him for caring enough about me to take my mushy brain and nurture it into a fruitful place. I’ve been overwhelmed at His goodness to me in this area. He is so good. And His way isn’t wonky. It works.

“I don’t think the way you think. The way you work isn’t the way I work.” God’s Decree. For as the sky soars high above earth, so the way I work surpasses the way you work, and the way I think is beyond the way you think…So will the words that come out of my mouth not come back empty-handed. They’ll do the work I sent them to do, they’ll complete the assignment I gave them. So you’ll go out in joy, you’ll be led into a whole and complete life…No more thistles, but giant sequoias… Monuments to me, to God, living and lasting evidence of God.” Isaiah 55:8 -9  &11-13 The Message 


This post is part of Sandy's series 30 Days of Hearing God.


12 comments:

Sandy Cooper said...

I get this...

And if you need anyone to calm your anxieties about She Speaks, I've been twice and would love to answer any questions and make you feel SO READY!!! :)

I love you,
Sandy

Nana's Nuggets said...

Hi! Lisa, about the brownies, I hear you girl! Me too! Ha-ha!
I loved your uplifting spirit today, and don't think for one minute that you're not beautiful in all that you do! God say's so! My post was on beauty today! Be uplifted!:) Have a great we-end!

Kimberly said...

I had to chuckle about the brownies, only because I've long since given up saying "I'll just eat one." Because I know I won't eat just one. They are SO good! I am sure you will do awesome at "She Speaks!" I've never met you in person, of course, but I can imagine that you will easily draw people in with your personality and story. I never heard of She Speaks until I read your blog. I'll have to look into it some day...it's in Charlotte, only 3 hours from me! If you want some pointers about speaking in public, Toastmasters is a great way to get some good tips. They help with vocabulary, impromptu speaking, eliminating "fillers" (um, you know, etc.) I've been to a couple meetings and it was really fun...and free, unless you join! I am a musician and used to being in front of an audience, but I've come to realize that I would much rather talk in front of people than play my instrument by myself in front of people. Isn't that funny? Have a blessed day! I'm off to Google "She Speaks!"

Denise said...

Lifting you up in my prayers sis, love you.

Anita said...

I haven't been able to spend much time reading blogs lately, so I've missed the things going on with you over the last few months.
When I clicked in today, I was HAPPY that I didn't see any scary health news!
Your case of nerves is normal, but I believe you'll do well and enjoy your experience. :)

Bernie said...

Your story is worth hearing and your Faith is worth sharing. You will do very well......:-) Hugs

Warren Baldwin said...

I think the "mushy brain" thing is God's way of allowing new thoughts and ideas to swirl around in our heads until they firm up with insight, understanding and conviction (kind of like churning cream into butter). It is a process that takes time, study and preparation. Sounds like you are well into that process and can count on some firming up of those thoughts to take place sometime. Good post.

Lysa TerKeurst said...

Oh Sweet friend, Satan wants to discourage you, defeat you and delay you in reaching your best for God.

Go to She Speaks focused on looking for someone to encourage, looking for someone to spur on, and looking for someone to bless.

And in the midst of you helping others at the conference you will surely see God encouraging you, spurring you on and blessing you.

I love you and believe in you dear sister!

Alleluiabelle said...

I love you dear friend. I've come by often to read. You always amaze me, lift me up, inspire and encourage me. God uses you mightily wherever you are...that you can be sure of.

My prayers continue to go up for you and your beautiful family.

Big hugs,
Alleluiabelle

Peter Stone said...

Hi Lisa,
Changing the way we think, that sounds very much like a road I've been down as well. (And, ahem, keep needing reminders to persevere.)
God bless

Karen said...

what a wonderful and thought-provoking post!....thanks so much for sharing.....in my prayers!

Mary R Snyder said...

I would LOVE to meet you at She Speaks. Look for me. I will be the one with the spray on tan... but I hope you don't know it's spray on tan.

Hoping we run across each other.