home about speaking she cares resources contact

Monday, July 12, 2010

Stepping Again and Again

This summer I’m participating in a group doing this Bible study. Today’s homework was so rich!

The Lord has me thinking lots about who I am, how I think, what motivates me… for real and my unique calling. Part of my homework for She Speaks is to give a public introduction of myself and to tell my story.

John 14 spoke volumes to me as I lingered there this weekend. My heart began to race and the adrenalin shot I needed to start my morning came when I decided to linger on the truth that melted my heart this weekend again.

Remember how I love to read in different translations of the Bible? Sometimes God can reveal a new truth from something you’ve known your whole life. I memorized this verse in college but when I read The Message, I got pumped up all over again.

That's my parting gift to you. Peace. I don't leave you the way you're used to being left—feeling abandoned, bereft. So don't be upset. Don't be distraught. John 14:27

The morning jolt came when I next opened my Bible study book and the first verse on the page was John 14: 27. I love it when God wants to make sure I really get something. Then these other passages were there too just speaking to the same old insecurities.

I am reminded this morning that, “Perfect love casts out all fear.” (1 John 4:18) That is the fear of rejection by others, the fear of abandonment by those who are supposed to care for me and the fear of failure even though I try my absolute hardest.

I am learning a valuable lesson right now. If I stay focused on Perfect Love, I can press on making one more successful choice rather than if I think in terms of the mountain of successful choices victory would cost. Sometimes I can’t run 26 miles (or even five) but I can take one step. Again and again and again.

So today, take a step as you focus on His perfect love for you.

These are some of the places my heart and mind will be as I step today (all from The Message):
"If you'll hold on to me for dear life," says God,
      "I'll get you out of any trouble.
   I'll give you the best of care
      if you'll only get to know and trust me.
   Call me and I'll answer, be at your side in bad times;
      I'll rescue you, then throw you a party.
   I'll give you a long life,
      give you a long drink of salvation!" Psalm 91:14-16

For even if the mountains walk away
   and the hills fall to pieces,
My love won't walk away from you,
   my covenant commitment of peace won't fall apart."
   The God who has compassion on you says so. Isaiah 54:10

God is striding ahead of you. He's right there with you. He won't let you down; he won't leave you. Don't be intimidated. Don't worry." Deuteronomy 31:8

Then I said to myself, “Oh, He even sees me in the dark! At night I’m immersed in the light!” … Oh, let me rise in the morning and live always with you! Psalm 139: 11 & 19


This post is part of Sandy's series 30 Days of Hearing God.

10 comments:

Sandy Cooper said...

"If you'll hold on to me for dear life," says God,
"I'll get you out of any trouble.
I'll give you the best of care
if you'll only get to know and trust me."

This is so powerful. And it pretty much sums up my hope in God.

Thanks for sharing what God is saying to you.

Blessings,
Sandy

Melanie said...

And so we just keep running our race...one footfall at a time.
Love you.
I want to run with you. Seriously.
I'll have a garage sale to make the money to come see you.

Kimberly said...

Wow, Lisa. I was just reading John 14 and today I've been struggling with feeling abandoned and needing peace. You have blessed me so much, I even mentioned you in my blog today. :D God is using you, don't even doubt that He is not. And I know He has great things in store for you. I knew it from the day I first read your blog. Blessings to you.

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Lisa, Thanks for the great encouragement to concentrate on the next small step. I can sometimes get to busy in the big picture and miss the next step.

Love your sweet spirit.

I'm enjoying the 30 day journey together with others like you.

Fondly,
Glenda

ET @ Titus2:3-5 said...

You're going to She Speaks, too??? I sure hope we meet there! :)

Tea With Tiffany said...

What comfort the Word is. I'm feeling like I need a good long drink of the Truth. Been entertaining lies lately and my heart needs to focus on God again.

Thank you. Hope you are enjoying summer. I so wish I could be going to She Speaks with you. :( But I KNOW GOD will meet you in a powerful and personal way. Be ready.

Love,

Tiffers

LisaShaw said...

Lisa,

So glad I could pop in on you for a visit. Excited about all God is doing in and through your life. He's such a good/great GOD! Love John 14. Enjoy your times of study and journey in the LORD!

Love and prayers for you!

Lisa Buffaloe said...

I love how God gently makes a point with repetition or a look from a different angle.

I'm taking another step, grateful God knows the way.

Denise said...

Thanks for being so inspiring to me sis, love you.

Stacey Dawn said...

I've been peaking in on you and your blog for quite a while now. This post today makes me realize how I need to study my Bible. Thank you.