home about speaking she cares resources contact

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Scan Time


I am tired, sisters, real tired. The exhausted, I can’t see straight or lift my hands anymore type tired. I’ve had some long days lately. I’ve got some more long days this week. And next.

Last night I called off all evening activities and tried to get to bed at a decent hour. It was wonderful to be home, fixing dinner at 6:00 instead of 8:00. I think I was out of the kitchen before nine and that was a treat!

This week’s lesson has been coming to terms with the fact that I just finished cancer treatment and I’m not fully recovered. The main effect of radiation is fatigue and sometimes it can hang on for a few (or many) months following treatment.

When I get to bed early, I’m great. But when I have long days that melt into late nights, I am sidelined for a few days. The sidelines aren’t my favorite place to be. I prefer the action of the game.

Trying to make “healthy” choices and reworking my thought process on why a person needs rest has been tough. By nature, I’m a pusher. I just keep pushing forward. Even at a detriment to my body. That’s not always good.

I’ve been telling my husband that maybe the scans, tests and doctor’s appointment I have at MD Anderson tomorrow and Friday are making me a little anxious. I mean, they don’t consume my head space but when I think or talk about it I get butterflies in the pit of my stomach. So just maybe that has something to do with the fact I haven’t been sleeping much or operating very coherently the last week or so.

Anyway, would you join in us in prayer for clean scans and a good report?  Let's expect great things together!

May the God of green hope fill you up with joy, fill you up with peace, so that your believing lives, filled with the life-giving energy of the Holy Spirit, will brim over with hope! Romans 15:13


18 comments:

Sing4joy said...

Praying that you will receive comfort from Almighty God who is the Creator of it and that you will learn to discern the time to rest and the time push. Clean scans? I prayed for that months ago. :)

Sonja said...

You are doing so great Lisa... this is just one more step in His healing process. I remember our dil was very tired from radiation, but it goes away. I am so proud of you!

Hugs!

Sonja

Holly Novak said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Holly Novak said...

Lisa - I know it's been a looonng time since I've posted a comment and for that I apologize. I have been keeping up with you though and am so glad you're done with the radiation. Take heart, your energy will return and you'll be so happy when it does. I thought I was "doing o.k." to get through the radiation which ended last October...and then I crashed. It had been 15 months of treatment between Dave's sarcoma and my breast cancer. I needed time to process the enormity of what we had been through and let my body recover. I think getting through the holidays was a huge hurdle, but I still was getting energy back through that time. To be honest though, I think it was about April when I really started feeling like my "old" self again...and then we got really busy around here! :-) This summer has been crazy busy, but I keep saying that's good, considering everything we had gone through the past two summers.
With all that being said, take it easy...one day at a time...rest when you need to and listen to your body. I still have days when I just need to give myself permission to stop and rest (or go to bed when I put the kids down), but that's o.k.! We're survivors and we need to take special care of ourselves!

Hugs from Georgia!!
Holly

Angel said...

I am praying for you Lisa!! Slowing down and taking care of yourself is a wonderful thing, hard but wonderful!! Believing for a good report!!

Love and Blessings

kim said...

Hi Lisa,

Praying for you as you prepare for some scans, it is very understandable to be a bit nervous. I am at a wellness conference this week and yesterday heard a really great talk on some studies on healthy living for breast cancer patients. Hopefully you and I will get a chance to connect next week at She Speaks so I can share the talk with you. I finished rads in Sept, after 16 treatments of chemo and surgery's and still find myself having to balance the rest/work. Prayers your way!

Loren said...

Praying for and with you for CLEAN SCANS, REST, PEACE, and COMPLETE HEALING!

Love and hugs

Christiana said...

Praying for all good news and good - and better - health to come, sweet girl.

Donna said...

Praying with you for clean scans and for an excellent report. I pray that God will arm you with strength and make your way pefect (2 Sam 22:33).

Blessings to you today!

Kimberly said...

Praying for clear scans, and PEACE in the midst!

Tea with Tiffany said...

Praying now. And please honor your body and rest, rest, rest. I can only imagine how tired you are. You are brave and beautiful.
Love and hugs from Colorado, tiffers

Barbie said...

Praying for complete healing for you! Rest in the loving arms of your Heavenly Father, who holds you in the palm of His hand!

Denise said...

Precious sis, you are covered in my prayers. Asking God for clean scans, and an excellent report. Also asking Him to infuse you with His strength. I love you.

Debbie said...

Praying all your scans and tests come out great. It's soo normal to feel a little anxious. Rest whenever you get the opportunity, and before long you will feel 100% You have been such an inspiration to me and no doubt many others. Blessings and hugs, Debbie

Bernie said...

Lisa, even being cancer free for over 5 years I still get anxious before my yearly scans....it is normal. Having had cancer we don't have the luxury of a cold or flu as our thought always goes to "is the cancer back".....try not to worry, sleep well and I will be praying for you.....:-) Hugs

Stacey Dawn said...

Praying for you!

Nana's Nuggets said...

Good Morning Lisa:), To God be the Glory! for good report! and girlfriend, I just know that when you feel weak! HE WILL MAKE YOU STRONG!! I will be Praying! Hang On! God is right where you Are!!*Blessings! for Peace and Strength!

Ashley said...

Praying for a GREAT report and clear scans today and forever!
Rest and heal, the other stuff can wait. XOXO