home about speaking she cares resources contact

Friday, July 02, 2010

Running to the Strong Tower


My stomach cramps. I want to slow down to a crawl. Well, at least a walk. I start praying. Why should I run? I decide I want to cover more distance faster. I keep running. I want my life to cover distance. Quickly.

I started running again. It’s tough. I’m sore. I’m out of breath. I don’t have the same fire to run this marathon as I did when I started training this time last year. I just don’t.

I didn’t expect to work up to the halfway point only to have a “health issue.” I’m more of a set a goal, reach it, move on type girl. I expected to be done with this whole marathon fad by now.

I know just saying that a marathon can be a fad is silly. It takes commitment and time, lots of time, to train for and run a marathon. I’m learning that. I think it’s good for me to learn these lessons. I know if I can stick to this and accomplish this, I can finish some other marathons in my life.

I just started a marathon that will last until I cross the ultimate finish line. Cancer. It doesn’t go away. Doctors don’t use the word “cure” much anymore. They use “no evidence of disease.” I hope to hear those words in July.

I hope to run across the marathon finish line in November. A goal. I'm training for that goal. I'm at the beginning. I can only go three or four miles right now. And lest you think I'm some crazy fitness freak, I'm surely not. Today on my treadmill (yes, it's running in my garage!!) three miles nearly killed me. But I finished. Running.

Today as I was running, I kept wanting to walk. Just slow down I kept telling myself. Then I kept thinking about how if I could just run one more step, I would be one step closer to being done. I could get done faster if I ran. Walking, it would take twice as long to cover the same distance. Walking, the same distance wouldn’t give me as many health benefits as running. So I ran. One step at a time.

I just kept praying and telling God that I wanted to cover more distance faster in my life so I would keep running.

Then when I got home, I got my daily prayer from my sweet friend Mary. This is today’s verse.

The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe. Proverbs 18:10

I want to run to the Lord. Running for safety. Don’t you like that? Does anyone know the song? I’m going to be singing it today. As I cover distance. In safety.

The LORD is a mighty tower where his people can run for safety—Proverbs 18:10 CEV 

11 comments:

Cindy Bultema said...

What a great post, Lisa! Proverbs 18:10 is one of my favorites too! Thanks for the encouragement today!
Have a safe and joy-filled 4th!
Love to you~
Cindy :)

Melanie said...

I can't remember if I have already asked you this: Will you let me interview you via email questions for my See Mom Run! features here:
http://seemymomrun.com.
No rush to answer or interview.
My love to you on this weekend of FREEDOM.

Deborah said...

Hi Lisa, Happy Fourth of July! You are wonderful and an inspiration.
I loved your post of your kids playing in the water! Those are great pictures!
xxoo
Deborah

Karen said...

What a wonderful and uplifting post!Thanks so much and may the Lord surround you with His hedge of protection!

Kathy C. said...

Lisa, that's a beautiful post. I love that our strong tower has great big wide open arms!

Denise said...

Such a beautiful post sis, keep running to the strong tower, He will forever be there for you. I love you.

Patrina said...

He is the Good Shepherd! We have everything we need.He is our strong tower...our refuse...our strength!

Patrina <")>><

Tammy Real-McKeighan said...

Marvelous! You are a great inspiration! Thank you for being so real and for being so faithful in your walk with the Lord! May God bless you richly in the days ahead!

Kathryn Taylor said...

SOO proud of you! You are amazing and so is our God.

Gretchen said...

So proud of you.

Big Fat Mama said...

What a great song and scripture to place in my mind today! You can do it!! I know you can! God Bless.
Big Fat Mama