home about speaking she cares resources contact

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Moving Mountains



This morning was a little crazy.

My girls left for camp today.

We had VBS before camp.

We were a bit disorganized getting camp into the car before VBS this morning and getting camp to the church. We had tears over things lost/left that didn't quite make it to the car. You know, precious things one can't survive a week of camp without. Things like a functioning water bottle that looks really cool, a wallet to hold spending money that looks really cool and a hairbrush that is a certain cool color.

These certain issues of coolness made enjoyment seem impossible to two terribly excited little girls. I graciously informed them that they had a mountain to climb. They could choose to take a step at a time until they suddenly found themselves so immersed in the climb that they were actually enjoying it without giving a second thought to the forgotten items. Or they could choose to receive less than the full camp experience and think only of what was lost.

Each agreed they could probably make the best of it.

We had joyous and loud laughter at the prospect of a few days with new friends. At summer camp! We had a bit of anxiousness over the "new" part in the previous sentence. As in new, yet to be made friends.

Once again I informed them that any nervousness or silly feelings that would stop them from asking someone's name or if they could play, talk, sit or bunk with the new, barely known friends were feelings that were not meant to rule us. They could choose to take the first hard steps of introducing themselves to others until they forgot that they didn't know very many people when they first got in the bus. Or they could receive less than the full camp experience and think of only what was not.

When I walked back in my door late this afternoon, I realized I have some choices to make too. I need to take the first hard step of tackling some of my own mighty mountains. Mountains named laundry, dishes and papers.

Will you pray for the sweet group of children who go to camp to have fun, make friends and meet Jesus? That's what I spent my devotion this morning doing and will continue to do without ceasing all week. I am praying that God would move mountains to get to each child's heart in a personal way.  You know the song? "Jesus, He can move the mountains, He is mighty to save. Mighty to save. Jesus, Author of Salvation, He rose and conquered the grave. Conquered the grave."



The mountains take one look at God
   And melt, melt like wax before earth's Lord.
The heavens announce that he'll set everything right,
   And everyone will see it happen—glorious! Psalm 97:5-6




This post is part of Sandy's series 30 Days of Hearing God.

8 comments:

Bernie said...

I'm sure the girls will have a wonderful time at camp and I think you gave them wonderful choices Lisa. I will keep them in my prayers, hope you are feeling well my friend.....:-) hugs

Laura said...

I only went to camp once as a kid and it still is one of the most memorable weeks of my life. I'll pray for some good stuff to come their way this week!

It's been too long since I've been by, Lisa, but I have prayed for you faithfully. I'm glad to see you are doing well.

Love you,
laura

Big Fat Mama said...

I will add your kids to my list of those to pray about tonight! :)
Big Fat Mama

Debbie said...

Oh Lisa, there's nothing like a camp experience like this. I will be praying for your girls. I'm sure they will make lots of new friends. And I pray that many will meet Jesus this week.

Blessings and hugs,
Debbie

Denise said...

I will be praying for your dear children, love you sis.

Stacey Dawn said...

What a wonderful "lesson" to teach your children.... and me. Thank you. I have prayed for your children - and you.... hugs.

TRUTH SHARER said...

Great post Lisa ----------

love the ending....

You know the song? "Jesus, He can move the mountains, He is mighty to save. Mighty to save. Jesus, Author of Salvation, He rose and conquered the grave. Conquered the grave."

The mountains take one look at God
And melt, melt like wax before earth's Lord.
The heavens announce that he'll set everything right,
And everyone will see it happen—glorious! Psalm 97:5-6

Choosing JOY, Stephanie

Sandy Cooper said...

Praying for your kids at camp. I'd freak out if I didn't have my brush and water bottle too.

Love this post. And love you.
Sandy